DMR LCN Finder Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I just discovered that one of the local 800 MHz Type II trunked systems here has converted to a TRBO DMR system. It's a very active system, but despite leaving the LCN finder on for over an hour, I have yet to get a single LCN hit.

Also, when I monitor each frequency as a conventional frequency, it won't show a talkgroup number, instead it will show all zeroes when someone keys up.

I am unsure as to what the exact type (Capacity Plus, Connect Plus, etc.) of TRBO system is that they are using.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Does it show DMR, CAP, CON, DT3, or other during a transmission?

Is the system in RRDB?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Does it show DMR, CAP, CON, DT3, or other during a transmission?

Is the system in RRDB?

I don't really know what mode it shows during a transmission. When I was monitoring it conventionally, I would get the audio but it wouldn't show what the talkgroup or slot was. All of that data was zero. Can I monitor that system without knowing what the LCNs are, or do I need them to monitor the system?

As for the system being in the DB, it is (sort of):
Texas A and M University College Station Trunking System, College Station, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

It's listed as a Type II system, which it was up until a few days ago when I noticed that it was unusually quiet and my scanners weren't showing an active data channel. I suspect what has happened is that they've taken the existing frequencies for the system and converted them to DMR, because I've heard DMR traffic on almost every one of the frequencies.

I forgot to mention that I'm monitoring this system with a 536.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If it doesn't show the DMR flavor, how are you determining that it is DMR?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
If it doesn't show the DMR flavor, how are you determining that it is DMR?

Well, it was when I hit "ENTER" when one of the frequencies was active and it gave me a color code. Keep in mind that I was monitoring the frequencies as conventional (non-trunked) channels at the time.

I just programmed it into my 436 as a TRBO trunked system, and I get "DT3", which I assume indicates a DMR Tier III system.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any suggestions as to how to monitor this system? I left the LCN finder on for THREE hours and didn't get a thing out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's probably related to the firmware bug causing the scanner to not receive any DMR on some trunked systems.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any suggestions as to how to monitor this system? I left the LCN finder on for THREE hours and didn't get a thing out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Program it in as a MotoTRBO system and in the site, put the frequencies in from lowest to highest at first to see if you start seeing activity. After that, try the LCN finder.

AlphaFive

Texas A & M

I ran in to this issue, many months ago. I located the thread I posted, I believe you are experiencing what I found. The thread is titled "conflicting Hytera information", I posted it on 08/15/16. It is pretty long, and many people tried to help me understand what I was receiving. If you can find this thread, maybe it will help. I don't possess enough understanding of the subject to speak intelligently about it. Good luck, take care. Thread was on 08/19, not 08/15

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Well, it was when I hit "ENTER" when one of the frequencies was active and it gave me a color code. Keep in mind that I was monitoring the frequencies as conventional (non-trunked) channels at the time.

I just programmed it into my 436 as a TRBO trunked system, and I get "DT3", which I assume indicates a DMR Tier III system.

Yes, it has upgraded to an DMR system, either CapMax or T3. Program it in as such, but be aware there is an issue currently being worked on with DMR and the X36 series. The latest firmware fix is closer to fixing things, at least on Con+/Cap+.... Hopefully soon they will work out this annoying and strange bug.

Also be aware the LCN setup on Cap+ and CapMax and T3 systems is very different from Con+ systems. Con+ systems have an dedicated CC and LCNs. The other ones assign LCN as they transmit. At least that is what all the writings I can find say, which makes it more interesting. I have mainly Con+ systems here, but do have one Cap+ I am working on figuring out.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I just installed the firmware update, and I've so far identified five LCNs. The finder seems to have stopped there, so I'm wondering if only five of the original 13 frequencies are actually being used. Would five frequencies be enough for a system of this size?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I just installed the firmware update, and I've so far identified five LCNs. The finder seems to have stopped there, so I'm wondering if only five of the original 13 frequencies are actually being used. Would five frequencies be enough for a system of this size?

I don't know if the CC on CapMax supports voice at the same time, but 5 VC's would give you at least 10 talkpaths.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if the CC on CapMax supports voice at the same time, but 5 VC's would give you at least 10 talkpaths.

I think there are only five. My scanner stopped there and hasn't moved from five in over two hours. I tried to monitor the system after I saved the LCNs I found but I'm not hearing anything. The RSSI seems to indicate that there is traffic, but the scanner isn't locking on to anything.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I did read through it, and noticed that some people were having a similar issue. I'm going to enter in the logged LCNs into my 436 (which does not have the FW upgrade) and see what happens.

UPDATE:
I just read the 536 with Sentinel, and the LCNs seem to be 211, 251, 279, 319 and 338. Is it normal for the LCNs for Tier III systems to be this high?

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I just punched in the LCNs into my 436, and am encountering the same behavior. The RSSI is flashing seemingly randomly and "DT3" occasionally pops up. The FW update doesn't seem to make much difference in monitoring it.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Is there any sort of solution to this issue, or am I going to have to get a different scanner (i.e. TRX-2)?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden is working on the firmware fix. I'd estimate another week, maybe two. Possibly sooner if you contribute to the thread I posted.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Uniden is working on the firmware fix. I'd estimate another week, maybe two. Possibly sooner if you contribute to the thread I posted.

Just did that. I'm still looking for an answer on the LCN issue. Of the 13 frequencies on the original Type II system, these five are in use:

856.2625 (LCN 211)
857.2625 (LCN 251)
857.9625 (LCN 279)
858.9625 (LCN 319)
859.4375 (LCN 338)

I'm wondering if the scanner's inability to follow the system is that the LCN finder is throwing out bad LCN data (a three-digit LCN doesn't seem to make much sense, unless I'm missing something).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.