DMR listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fouineux69

Hi!

I listen a DMR commercial radio system for a while now with a SDR and openears. I own a TYT DMR radio for ham use (I'm licensed ham). I don't have any problem listening with my computer but not with my md380uv.

Anyone here can explain me how it works, I mean.. Can I retrieve CC and time slot with openears or something? I programmed my md380uv on the right frequency, what I think the right CC (1), I tried two time slot.. the radio flash in green when they speak but nothing from the speaker..

Thanks a lot!

Ubbe

If it lights green then it is receiving as it should but the TG could be wrong, do you have promiscous mode enabled, or the system might be using RAS.

/Ubbe

Fouineux69

Don't know promiscous mode in my tyt380uv.. and don't know either on ras mode.. What i know, I'm able to hear it with a sdr and openears without flaws

Ubbe

Try DSD+ and it will show RAS at the bottom of the screen if the system uses it. Then it will not work if monitoring with a DMR radio.

/Ubbe

Valeriy

Hi!

I listen a DMR commercial radio system for a while now with a SDR and openears. I own a TYT DMR radio for ham use (I'm licensed ham). I don't have any problem listening with my computer but not with my md380uv.

I'am a licensed ham radio operator as well.
The fact you are able to listen with your computer means that DSD+ decodes and displays TG, CC and TS correctly, as well as wether the communication is a group call (voice) or data transmission (usually the GPS position of any mobile/handheld units).

Anyone here can explain me how it works, I mean.. Can I retrieve CC and time slot with openears or something? I programmed my md380uv on the right frequency, what I think the right CC (1), I tried two time slot.. the radio flash in green when they speak but nothing from the speaker..

I have a TYT MD380, re-flashed with MD380 Toolz, a modified firmware which allows to activate the so-called Promiscuous Mode, so that there is no need to know any TG.
The MD-UV380 is a different piece of hardware, though...
Try looking at the settings of your radio first, otherwise a modified firmware for that model might be available, too.

Fouineux69

Thank you for your reply, I'll try to buy a md380 for flashing the firmware.. but does the md380 vhf is always available?

Valeriy

Thank you for your reply, I'll try to buy a md380 for flashing the firmware.. but does the md380 vhf is always available?

What I wanted to mean is to check wether your MD-UV380 supports the Promiscuous Mode as a native function in its original firmware or not, because that is a normal feature for recent models of dual band DMR transceivers.

I still use the MD-380 because I have one, but if you will decide to purchase another DMR transceiver, it's better to choose a newer model than the monoband MD-380, of course...
The Radioddity GD-77 with modified firmware has became what the MD-380 used to be years ago, and there are even better models such as the AnyTone radios, yet a bit less cheap.
However try to learn all the features of your MD-UV380 first.

Last edited:

Ubbe

I would personally advice against getting any dual band DMR radio, if you don't have perfect RF conditions with low interference levels. Almost all dualbands use a direct conversation receiver that have worse perfomance than a MD380 that use a normal super heterodyn receiver that are one of the best cheap receivers I have encountered that can take any kind of signal enviroment without protesting. I have one direct conversion DMR radio, a BelFone with Connect Systems software called CS580 and reception is terrible even with the low signal levels I have. I only use it to scan some analog FRS/GMRS type of frequencies and for the more important DMR systems I use the MD380.

/Ubbe

Valeriy

I would personally advice against getting any dual band DMR radio, if you don't have perfect RF conditions with low interference levels. Almost all dualbands use a direct conversation receiver that have worse perfomance than a MD380 that use a normal super heterodyn receiver that are one of the best cheap receivers I have encountered that can take any kind of signal enviroment without protesting.

Well, good to know that.
However I just read recensions by GD-77 owners which state that it is quite sensitive as a receiver, and the community-developed firmware allows to use it as an equivalent of a digital scanner (I don't know if I'll be able to fix my half-deaf 436, so I'm also looking around for a cheaper alternative).
Although many agencies/services here are in VHF, either in DMR and analogue FM mode, with the MD-380 there is the need for two radios in order to have V and U reception, so I think a good dual band might be of more practical use...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.