DMR-MARC or Brandmeister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Looking for advice on digital amateur radio systems. I registered on radioid.net and got my 7-digit ID. I currently own a Motorola TRBO Capacity Plus system with a XPR 7550 HT and a XPR 5550 mobile unit. What is the advantage vs disadvantage of the DMR-MARC vs the Brandmeister systems? Thanks. KD9PQM

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Brandmeister offers more flexibility in talk groups. Both are just two of many growing networks. Chose the repeaters you want to use, and roll with which ever networks they use.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Individual repeaters are usually only dedicated to one system, so your choice may be what is used in your area. My local repeater is a BM, but there are three DMR-MARC within signal range. They do not use the same talk groups, and programming can become a headache.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
As has been said already, you are going to be limited to whichever network(s) is on the repeaters in your area. If you want to choose your own network, you need to get a hotspot.

N4KVE

Hotspots are good. You can do whatever you want without regard of repeater owners opinions and so forth.
Uh, no. We have 5 DMR repeaters near us, & only one of them allows hot spots. That repeater has Brandmeister TG’s. The other 4 repeaters do not have internet access. Besides, with 5 repeaters, why would anyone need a hot spot?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Uh, no. We have 5 DMR repeaters near us, & only one of them allows hot spots.

Repeaters do not allow or disallow hotspots. You don't run a hotspot on a repeater. You connect directly to the network, and bypass repeaters entirely. That's the point.

Besides, with 5 repeaters, why would anyone need a hot spot?

You can run whichever talkgroups and whichever network you want 24/7 without worrying about what the repeater owner has setup, and without tying up the repeater or having to wait until the repeater is free. It also opens you up to all the various worldwide talkgroups, which you would not be able to get on repeaters that are not connected to the internet.

N4KVE

Repeaters do not allow or disallow hotspots. You don't run a hotspot on a repeater. You connect directly to the network, and bypass repeaters entirely.
These repeaters are not associated with any networks, hence no hot spots. They are connected to other repeaters all owned by the same guy. One TG per TS. It‘s wonderful. No choppy audio, or missing syllables.

bill4long

Uh, no. We have 5 DMR repeaters near us, & only one of them allows hot spots. That repeater has Brandmeister TG’s. The other 4 repeaters do not have internet access. Besides, with 5 repeaters, why would anyone need a hot spot?

I was referring to directly connecting to the large DMR networks, as alcahuete stated. I personally have three hotspots, one connected to Brandmeister, one to TGIF, and one that crosses over from DMR to YSF/FCS (Fusion). No repeaters involved, unless they happen to be on the network too. The majority of operators on Brandmeister, TGIF and DMRplus are using hotspots.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I appreciate all the advice. Now I just need to see who has the most repeaters in the areas I need and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.