DMR MARC Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kk4mei

Why should I turn off my analog ACG setting if it has nothing to do with the digital side of the radio?

Also why do they tell you to pick your scan channel when if you do that you loose to option to scan other zones?

XPR7550 Related...

N4KVE

Why should I turn off my analog ACG setting if it has nothing to do with the digital side of the radio?
You don't have to, it's a matter of personal preference. In the past, when I have purchased used Jedi's, I noticed that some had great tx audio, while others had compressed, & processed sounding tx audio. I thought it might have been from different fw versions. But when I compared the codeplugs of great sounding radios to poor sounding radios, I noticed the only difference was AGC. So I changed the AGC to off on the offending radios, & now they all sound great. But since DMR is only digital, the analog settings have nothing to do with DMR operation of the radio. So you have the choice to have your analog tx audio sound natural with the AGC off, or compressed, & processed with AGC on.

RBMTS

Regarding your scan question, it is not clear what you are asking. I think I might know what you are referring to so I'll give this a shot.

In CPS and scan setup, you have the ability to indicate what channel the radio will talk on when in scanning mode. The radio can be setup to transmit only on the main selected channel (what channel is indicated before you turned scan on). The radio can otherwise be set to transmit on the active receiving channel during scanning - meaning that if you talkback on that active channel (or talk group) which is different than what your main selected channel is (if you turned the scan off). This setup has its benefits but also its drawbacks.

Let's say you turn on the radio and it powers up to channel 1. You begin scanning. If you key up the radio while the radio is scanning your selected group, you will be calling out on channel 1. Now lets say that a QSO comes up on your channel 5. The radio will allow you to talk back on channel 5. However depending on the timing settings of your radio setup, the radio might release that active channel and you could end up transmitting back on channel 1 even though your original conversation was on channel 5. Conversely the same can happen if you are trying to talk on channel 1 but a new QSO comes up on channel 5 and the radio might inadvertently switch your selected TX channel to 5 even though you want to be on channel 1. So to help avoid confusion and be courteous to others I believe you are being told to slave your TX to the main selected channel, and not what channel the scanning stops on.

I don't think this prohibits you from still having or creating a mixed zone channel or talk group scanning profile. As far as I know you can still add or select any channel in your radio to be in the scan group that is programmed for that specific channel personality. But don't quote me on that because I have not played with that to any great deal. I primarily use my radio for TRBO only and only have two zones (system and simplex).

Hope that makes sense.

K

kk4mei

Regarding your scan question, it is not clear what you are asking. I think I might know what you are referring to so I'll give this a shot.

In CPS and scan setup, you have the ability to indicate what channel the radio will talk on when in scanning mode. The radio can be setup to transmit only on the main selected channel (what channel is indicated before you turned scan on). The radio can otherwise be set to transmit on the active receiving channel during scanning - meaning that if you talkback on that active channel (or talk group) which is different than what your main selected channel is (if you turned the scan off). This setup has its benefits but also its drawbacks.

Let's say you turn on the radio and it powers up to channel 1. You begin scanning. If you key up the radio while the radio is scanning your selected group, you will be calling out on channel 1. Now lets say that a QSO comes up on your channel 5. The radio will allow you to talk back on channel 5. However depending on the timing settings of your radio setup, the radio might release that active channel and you could end up transmitting back on channel 1 even though your original conversation was on channel 5. Conversely the same can happen if you are trying to talk on channel 1 but a new QSO comes up on channel 5 and the radio might inadvertently switch your selected TX channel to 5 even though you want to be on channel 1. So to help avoid confusion and be courteous to others I believe you are being told to slave your TX to the main selected channel, and not what channel the scanning stops on.

I don't think this prohibits you from still having or creating a mixed zone channel or talk group scanning profile. As far as I know you can still add or select any channel in your radio to be in the scan group that is programmed for that specific channel personality. But don't quote me on that because I have not played with that to any great deal. I primarily use my radio for TRBO only and only have two zones (system and simplex).

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the responses guys.

RBMTS
I have the Motorola XPR 7550 and use CPS 10.0 for programing.

on the DMR MARC website if you click on (program your radio) and scroll down to the 5th screen shot, the first box outlined in red (scan/roam list). If I chose a scan list here I loose the option to pick any other scan list after the radio is programed. If I leave it blank I can then pick any scan list I want to listen to. I often scan my local repeaters while on the DMR MARC repeaters and vise verse.

This may be a problem just to the 7550's

RBMTS

That "Scan/Roam" list is nothing but what the preferred scan list is to be used for the specific channel personality. You are not slaved to that scan list - you should be able to go into the radio menu settings and change the scan list being used for that channel. Secondly the scan list does not need to be channels in just that specific zone for that channel. You should be able to select and add any channel from any zone into the selected scan list. I just tried it on my radio and it worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.