BCD325P2: DMR Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

I am getting a bit more familiar with listening to DMR on my BCD325P2. With regards to listening to DMR only, how well would it work if I simply program a search bank, with digital audio only, for the likely DMR frequencies, without programming the Color Codes, Time Slots, and Talk groups? How will the scanner behave? For example, if BOTH time slots were in use at a given point in time, will it simply receive what ever time slots it hears first? What about Talk Groups? I assume that it will simply receive all of them. Finally, what about iCalls/private calls? Are they also received when monitoring in this way?

GrumpyGuard

The best way to get the answer, in this case, is to experiment. Set up a search bank as you described. See what happens and post your results.
My guess, your radio will ignore any signals received because it is not programmed correctly, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Matt

jonwienke

If you program a frequency without specifying a PL tone, color code, or NAC (Audio Option "Search"), if the scanner detects a signal, it will automatically decode and play the audio, regardless of whether it is digital or analog. So one frequency entry could play analog FM, P25 digital, and DMR digital transmissions.

If you specify a color code, NAC, or DCS/CTCSS tone, then only signals with matching characteristics will be played. If you specify Color Code 12, only DMR signals with Color Code 12 will be played. If you specify a CTCSS tone (AKA PL) of 100 Hz, then only analog FM signals with a 100Hz tone will be played, and everything else will be ignored.

If you're looking to see what activity is on a frequency, do not specify a color code / NAC / CTCSS tone. The scanner will play everything. If you only want to hear one particular signal (e.g. 2 users are on the same freq with different color codes), then be specific about which flavor of traffic you want to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.