DMR & NXDN in SC

TigerScan2000

Premium Subscriber
Very good point. I did not think of it as being different. I just dumped it into the Sentinel using the online tool.

Thanks. I will do some "investigation"

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
DSDPlus is a must have for easy investigation of these signals. That’s my 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scannerham62

Premium Subscriber
Here on the Grand Strand I use an RTL SDR dongle with SDR # and DSD+ to search for new frequencies and activity, then transfer to a TRX-2. I also use some ham stuff to monitor, (MD-380 and CS750 / 800. The Connect Systems radios have a nice monitor mode that's great for decoding TS, TG and ID,s. Of course the holy grail is my XTS 4550 and 7550. That's the real way to listen!

That being said I have been doing a lot of DMR monitoring living here in Myrtle Beach. Its mostly hotels using a single DMR frequency which turns into two, "channels", because of TS 1 and TS 2. There are some Capacity Plus systems out there running two frequencies. Seems like almost every month or so somebody's analog frequencies go digital, especially during the winter when its slower.

There is one Capacity Plus system now running THREE frequencies. Its Ocean Lakes Campground. They keep upgrading and expanding their system. That reminds me, I have to submit an info report on that one with the new frequency and some corrections on TG ID's.

Of course then there's the big Myrtle Beach Communications Connect Plus system on 800 MHz running a whole bunch of frequencies and talk groups. Lots of activity there.

There is one NXDN South Carolina Fleet Talk frequency in my area. Not much activity there yet.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth, (OK maybe 5 cents!), but Myrtle Beach is a great place to monitor with so much going on.

wmac75

ok if I import p25 from Digital Frequencies Search in Sentinel (uniden 436) do I make Favorites list and type as Conventional or p25 ?

wmac75

if I import p25 from Digital Frequencies Search in Sentinel (uniden 436) AND EZ Scan do I Import and make and it What type Conventional or p25 ? the instruction on site Says Conventional? Example : Spartanburg County SC

SC Department of Administration (DTO) 100FB2C GE - 851.687500 Auto Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Green / On 0 None Off

troymail

Silent Key
if I import p25 from Digital Frequencies Search in Sentinel (uniden 436) AND EZ Scan do I Import and make and it What type Conventional or p25 ? the instruction on site Says Conventional? Example : Spartanburg County SC

SC Department of Administration (DTO) 100FB2C GE - 851.687500 Auto Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Green / On 0 None Off

Start with conventional - if there is only 1 frequency, that is probably what it is anyway.

If you have multiple frequencies, you can still program them as conventional and if one turns out to be a control channel frequencies, them you would try to program it as P25 Trunk.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
In the case of this particular frequency, it's a mixed mode conventional repeater. The term "mixed mode" means that it can pass both analog and P25 digital signals, depending on what the subscriber radio transmits. This repeater is part of the State of South Carolina Department of Administration radio system, aka Palmetto 800. In addition to the statewide trunked radio system, they maintain a network of conventional repeaters for interoperability and redundancy use. You can find these repeaters listed in the RadioReference database under the South Carolina Interop/Mutual Aid database page.

In general (there are always exceptions), frequencies licensed by the state in 800MHz are either going to be analog or P25. Licenses with a service code of "Y_" (YP, YE, YX, etc) are going to be part of a trunked system, and licenses with service codes of "G_" (GP, GE, etc) are going to be conventional. Sometimes the conventional licenses are for the interoperability repeater network, and somtimes they are for the data network, in a digital format that cannot be monitored.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm picking up a DMR TIII transmission from my location in Upstate SC on 460.200 Color Code 0. Talkgroups are 1001, 3001 and 4001. The nature of the communications is law enforcement, with the dispatch center identifying as "Central." Looking at FCC licenses, I'm not finding much. I don't believe it's Spartanburg County since the signal is not very strong and they don't ID dispatch as "Central." York County uses the same frequency for trash/sanitation with a DMR repeater on Color Code 1, Talkgroup 3. I pick that up also, so I don't think it's York County. I don't see any likely NC licenses that are anywhere near WNC. Banks County GA uses the frequency but their system is NXDN. Anyone have any thoughts?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Maybe I've answered my own question about 460.200. By the way, it identifies as System S19 Site 2.

FMP24 has a tendency to auto-tune to adjacent frequencies when receiving a signal. I need to fine-tune it to prevent that from happening. So it may be that this actual TIII DMR signal is on either 460.1875 or 460.2125.

Greenville City has a license WQPB888 that includes 460.1875 and includes DMR emission desinators. Does anyone know if this is active? I don't think Greenville PD would be using it, and the little bit of audio I heard was clearly LE traffic. And Greenville dispatch doesn't ID as Central, does it?

Easley PD has a license for 460.2125 and uses it in analog mode with a tone of 123.0. I can monitor it from my location. Does anyone know if they happen to run that repeater in mixed mode with DMR as well?

I also got a few DMR hits with system 481 Site 2, which is Union County NC Schools. This is a busy set of channels.

The transmissions you are hearing with Dispatch being referred to as Central is probably Greenville Health systems security/police channel.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Yes, if the DB is still correct Greenville Hospital is on 154.115 DMR

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Yeah, sorry about my mistake in my previous message. Of course, GHS uses VHF, as we've discussed.

So, my point was that they aren't likely to ASLO be heard on 460.200, a UHF frequency, which I was asking about. Lots of agencies probably have dispatch centers that ID as "Central." I'm just trying to track down who it might be.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
For those interested in the Fleettalk NXDN system in SC and NC, see this note that I posted in the NC forum shortly ago.

Today, the Fleettalk system database entries for South Carolina and North Carolina were merged into a single database system page. All of the sites for SC and NC along with all talkgroup groups and talkgroups were combined onto one page. This was done to simplify the database management process, and the system import process, because these multiple "systems" really act as a single system.

Over time, the database admins will be more carefully defining the site listings, to indicate which sites appear to connect to each separate system. We'll also be adding voice frequencies and other details to the site listings.

If you're in range of one of these sites and have a scanner or other receiving system (like an RTL SDR dongle and DSDPlus software), please consider loading this system and attempt to identify talkgroups. I have found that the recent DSDPlus Fastlane version that supports single dongle trunk-tracking makes the process of recording individual talkgroups very simple. This makes identifying talkgroups easy if you can listen to a day's worth (or more) of transmissions on one talkgroup.

Be patient as we fill out the database page, but look for additional information to be posted soon.

N4DJC

I scanned the NXDN-VN band for several hours today (Anderson) recording traffic. What I’m hearing are dump trucks so far, and not much of that.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Captured several DMR updates for Greenville Spartanburg Aiport operations today - database has been updated.

nozzle75

Premium Subscriber
Brian, I've been watching a new system that has popped up around Greenville on 452.825. A frequency search lists this as Motorola Solutions with a call sign of WRAL380. DSD+ is showing it as a TIII system, Network L6 Site L6-5.7. I haven't seen any radio ID's or talk group ID's yet.