DMR, NXDN, or Provoice

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
In South Carolina you can get DMR and NXDN. Provoice would be a waste.
Do you want to listen to "everything" or do you prefer just public safety? If it's just public safety you could get away with just NXDN if you want to listen to Fairfield County and Saluda County.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Depends on what your listening interests are. Simply have a look at the database, focus on "Mode" column for conventional objects or "Type" column for trunked radio systems. This column will tell you if any of the digital modes you inquired about are in use. If you only wanted to choose 1 of the 3 I'd definitely go with DMR as it is the most commonly used out of the 3. For the most part you'll be bringing in businesses, utilities, schools/education, etc with DMR. There aren't any Provoice (nor EDACS of any flavor) systems in use in SC, fewer than 50 still online in the USA so I'd stay away from that upgrade in your case unless you'll be traveling to an area where a Provoice system is still online. Regarding conventional objects: If you encounter the modes "DMRE" or "NXDNE" these channels are fully encrypted and therefore cannot be monitored even with paid upgrades. Same goes for trunked system modes "DE" and "TE"
Hope this helps you make your decision

I totally agree with everyone else that DMR would be the best choice if the listening target is stuff other than public safety. The majority of public safety uses Palmetto 800 or NXDN, very few police or fire departments use DMR for communications at least in South Carolina. However, a few public works and utility departments use DMR for communications.

My personal choice would be DMR if I was trying to decide on one of the three choices. I love DMR! I've been using DMR for a few years now, overtime I've found some interesting things to monitor and overall happy with the results. You'll find that most users of DMR will be businesses, manufacturers, schools, etc.

~ LocalScanner45 ~

organcory

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I accidently bought the NXDN first, so ended up with Both lol. Anyways after alot of weeding down selections within sentinel, I am not getting any traffic, maybe one every few minutes, but know there is alot more going on. I have the standard antenna on it, does that need to be replaced? Any thing I need to be looking for in sentinel? I have added all the service types.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I accidently bought the NXDN first, so ended up with Both lol.
Nothing wrong with that

Anyways after alot of weeding down selections within sentinel, I am not getting any traffic, maybe one every few minutes, but know there is alot more going on.
I have the standard antenna on it, does that need to be replaced?
Would help to know specific info on system(s) or conventional objects you tried, post RR database links if listed in the DB. Do you have another radio to compare to or are you just assuming there's "a lot more going on"? Did you use Sentinel or another programming app? How far away are you from the site(s) you're trying to bring in? How many bars of signal? You can certainly experiment with different antennas and improvement may be realized (the stock rubber ducky is usually the first thing I toss into a drawer & forget about anyway). Many different factors come into play & not all RF environments are created equal so experimentation is key.

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Anyways after alot of weeding down selections within sentinel, I am not getting any traffic, maybe one every few minutes, but know there is alot more going on. I have the standard antenna on it, does that need to be replaced? Any thing I need to be looking for in sentinel? I have added all the service types.

First, what are you attempting to listen to? Which agencies or businesses or departments, etc? If you can provide us more details, we can offer better suggestions.

If you're in West Columbia, you're in Lexington County. All Lexington County public safety agencies operate on the Palmetto 800 system, which is a P25 digital trunked radio system. Did you "weed that out" or leave it in? Sheriff radio traffic is encrypted and cannot be monitored but most other public safety is in the clear. You'll also hear a good bit of state agency radio traffic there.

Make sure you've added the Lexington County Simulcast site to the system you create for Palmetto 800. That's the site that carries most/all of Lexington County public safety. Note that it is simulcast, which is a type of radio technology that the 436 and other scanners that aren't the SDS models struggle to receive. That could be part of your reception issue. You'll hear other county agencies on the Lexington site as well - maybe some Newberry Co, some Aiken Co and some Calhoun Co traffic.

If you think simulcast might be your problem, try monitoring the Harbison site to the north or the Sandy Run site to the south. Both of those carry some Lexington County traffic.