DMR Plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorndike113

Maybe my experience with Motorola software helped.

You, in addition to myself and probably others are a prime example. You have dealt with this type of stuff before in other ways so you are familiar with it to a degree. I am used to programming digital scanners and dealing with Talkgroups, Zones, Radio ID's, etc. If you have never played with all of that, it will be hard. I live in a state where the majority of hams only really get into HF. They will play with VHF and UHF but its a little side thing that is easy plug and play stuff. All I ever hear are complaints about DMR. When it comes to Fusion, most of them will do that begrudgingly but it is easier for them because I guess its similar to analog with an additional push a button and you are on the air.

It makes it hard for me because I've had a few issues with DMR concerning radio issues that would take a very experienced person to fix. Sadly, I don't know anyone near me who can help because they barely know anything about DMR and don't want to bother with it. So, I have the issue that if I buy a DMR radio and it malfunctions, I strip it of its parts and buy another. I've been through 3 DMR radios now and am working on #4 in a few days. They seem to have an issue when you run a speaker/mic on them. Eventually after a couple months the audio output on your speakers burns up and goes to this tin can scratchy sound like the speaker is blown. I have ceased running speaker/mics on them. I will see what happens on this next go around.

Good luck with DMR though. It is a lot of fun. Hopefully I will do a little more with it once the weather warms and I can go play with my J-pole antenna out in the field.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
How does DMR compare to D-Star? I understand not compatible but is D-Star easier to program/configure? Would a code plug be required? I am familiar with current generation of digital scanners.
Thanks

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
How does DMR compare to D-Star? I understand not compatible but is D-Star easier to program/configure? Would a code plug be required? I am familiar with current generation of digital scanners.
Thanks

D-Star is incredibly easier, no codeplug required. However, in most places, D-Star is pretty dead. Most D-Star people use hotspots to go to the DMR networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.