DSDPlus DMR setup confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have a small DMR system I would like to check out. I DID READ the txt files in DSD plus folder but STILL find some confusion in the way to FORMAT the text in the files. The samples in the text files dont explain clear enough. I attached 4 pictures of data for this DMR system. I think all the information I need is in these screen shots, but whats confusing is the way the freqs are displayed in "3.JPG." They are all doubled. The samples SHOW how you type the individual lines of text but doesnt say WHAT some of those numbers mean and where to look for them. So whats confusing the most is the correct way to type the data in the "Networks" "Sites" & "Freqs" files.
I understand the FIRST item on a line is the "MODE" (nxdn, P25 etc) it's those OTHER numbers that are after the mode that is confusing. The SYSTEM ID number is easy to find. Its in the RR database. The SITE NUMBER is also in the RR database. But what do you do with the frequencies since they are all doubled and there is LCN AND LSN! I know LCN is logical channel number but not familiar with LSN, but according to the 3.JPG, those fields are all the same.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 53

slicerwizard

DSD+ uses logical slot numbers (LSNs). Per the DMR channel notes in the DSDPlus.txt file, you need to provide one entry per RF channel in the DSDPlus.frequencies file, so just add the odd ones. Entering both odd and even LSNs shouldn't cause any problems, but it's pointless.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
DSD+ uses logical slot numbers (LSNs). Per the DMR channel notes in the DSDPlus.txt file, you need to provide one entry per RF channel in the DSDPlus.frequencies file, so just add the odd ones. Entering both odd and even LSNs shouldn't cause any problems, but it's pointless.
OK I did read that where you only need to add one. But whats confusing me is the other items like "network ID"....I cant find that. The information in those .txt files are all scattered and not clear enough. According to the information in those screen shots I posted, I understand the first item to add is the "protocol", in this instance "DMR".....so DMR is first on the line. Those numbers that come next I still can't figure out where to find them. Except the "System ID" and the "Site Number". But I cant find "Network ID". I keep chasing my tail editing and re editing the files only to keep getting errors. I understand there are 3 files we have to edit. The "SITES", "NETWORKS" & "FREQUENCIES" files. I am just getting the numbers either in the wrong place in the line or missing one.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
For the site you've selected, the protocol is "Con+", network ID is 171, site number is 62.
OK I thought it was a trunked system. I will work on fixing that one. But in mean time I set up a different system. It appears to be working except I have no audio......here are screen shots that might help....not sure why there is no audio...I can see calls coming thru.

Attachments

• event log.JPG
    event log.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 37
  • channel activity.JPG
    channel activity.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 38
  • data dmr.JPG
    data dmr.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 33

slicerwizard

OK I thought it was a trunked system.
Eh? Did someone say it wasn't?

I will work on fixing that one. But in mean time I set up a different system. It appears to be working except I have no audio......here are screen shots that might help....not sure why there is no audio...I can see calls coming thru.
You've given every LSN a different RF frequency. What happened to two slots per DMR RF channel? I thought we covered that?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Here is a screen shot of the freq list off RR and the freqs I entered in the "frequencies" file. I thought from what I read you only had to enter one of the doubled up freqs. I guess I dont fully understand DMR yet. So I need to list them as they are listed in the list from RR?

Attachments

• freq list.JPG
    freq list.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 44
  • freqs list 2.JPG
    freqs list 2.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 44

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I retyped and testing out if I get audio...booted up with no errors and running now.....not sure how much traffic I will get on a Sunday tho.

Attachments

• dmr frq.JPG
    dmr frq.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 22

a417

U+0000
make sure you have digital voice synthesis enabled

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 22

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
make sure you have digital voice synthesis enabled
Yes the synthesized voice is enabled....I did hear a few calls come in but they were a little garbled. The tower for this system is about 8 miles north of me way up on a very large high hill so I know signal is good but I still have to run dsd plus / fastlane with full gain (49.6) and I am using a discone with 50 ' lmr400. I guess 900 mhz is pretty finicky. I just have to solve the garbled audio and I am good. Bandwidth is 7.6....I set it to 12.6 but it changed by itself to 7.6.

cg

Premium Subscriber
When you type out the frequency lists, you don't need to have an enter for each slot. You can have one entry for each frequency BUT you then use the odd numbers for channel numbers (1, 3, 5, etc).
The garbled audio is likely because you have the gain setting too high. Just because you can decode the control channel doesn't mean the signal is good enough for clear audio.
DMR is 7.6 so the program changes it

chris

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
When you type out the frequency lists, you don't need to have an enter for each slot. You can have one entry for each frequency BUT you then use the odd numbers for channel numbers (1, 3, 5, etc).
The garbled audio is likely because you have the gain setting too high. Just because you can decode the control channel doesn't mean the signal is good enough for clear audio.
DMR is 7.6 so the program changes it

chris
OK The problem is if I turn gain down lower, more "err" pop up in the black screen. But not sure what the "err" is actually referring to. Bad decode? When I turn gain DOWN audio gets unreadable...as I slowly turn it up it becomes clearer. Clearer but moderately garbled "underwater" sound.

Attachments

• err1.JPG
    err1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
I understand that.
You don't show the FMP24 screen so it is difficult to guess how bad the signal is being distorted but my experience is there is a level where the audio is best and rarely if ever is it at 100% gain.
You are not just increasing the signal of the target but also of anything that may interfere. 8 miles away and likely hundreds of watts, having to use full gain doesn't make sense.

chris

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I understand that.
You don't show the FMP24 screen so it is difficult to guess how bad the signal is being distorted but my experience is there is a level where the audio is best and rarely if ever is it at 100% gain.
You are not just increasing the signal of the target but also of anything that may interfere. 8 miles away and likely hundreds of watts, having to use full gain doesn't make sense.

chris
OK I will paste a copy of that screen here. I am not 100% clear on how to read this graph......the control freq is over to the left in white vertical line...but theres another peak in green in middle......dont know what that is.

Attachments

• fmp24_2.JPG
    fmp24_2.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Apparently I just checked the map and I am 5 miles southeast of where this transmitter is. I have been up there and the tower is huge and elevation of land high.

Attachments

• peck hill.JPG
    peck hill.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 8

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I think I might have found a stupid connection that may cause problems. I had a 2' jumper of 75 ohm coax going from my LMR400 to the dongle. I removed the jumper and was able to whittle gain way down to about 12. I am sure that jumper cause an impedance problem but it was a temporary connection till I could re route the main coax in right position behind desk. I still get erratic "err's" going by on the black screen and audio slightly less garbled but not by much. Still troubleshooting.

Attachments

• fmp_update.JPG
    fmp_update.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 14
  • err2.JPG
    err2.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 12

BM82557

From DSDPlus.txt --

Decoder Options
---------------

-fa
Using -fa (or nothing) will (usually) auto-decode all supported protocols.
Polarity of signals is auto-detected.
Note: -fa does not enable dPMR detection; -fm must be used to enable dPMR

-fd -fn -fN -fr -f1 -fx -fp -fm
When monitoring a single type of traffic, locking the protocol can provide
slightly better decoding results.
Note: more than one protocol can be enabled via the command line.

-u
Lower values (slightly) reduce CPU load.

-UA<num> -UI<num>
Controls AMBE and IMBE unvoiced speech levels; lower levels reduce "underwater" sounds.

I know you are dealing with an DMR system but I have included a link below for P25 in case you ever need it --

cg

Premium Subscriber
Looks much better now. The signal peak is much higher than the noise floor now.

The protocol options can be controlled via the menu now.

chris

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
From DSDPlus.txt --

Decoder Options
---------------

-fa
Using -fa (or nothing) will (usually) auto-decode all supported protocols.
Polarity of signals is auto-detected.
Note: -fa does not enable dPMR detection; -fm must be used to enable dPMR

-fd -fn -fN -fr -f1 -fx -fp -fm
When monitoring a single type of traffic, locking the protocol can provide
slightly better decoding results.
Note: more than one protocol can be enabled via the command line.

-u
Lower values (slightly) reduce CPU load.

-UA<num> -UI<num>
Controls AMBE and IMBE unvoiced speech levels; lower levels reduce "underwater" sounds.

I know you are dealing with an DMR system but I have included a link below for P25 in case you ever need it --

What exactly do those controls (AMBE and IMBE) do? I reduced mine to 12 and noticed less errors and better audio. I still get an occasional "ERR" while running but much less "ERR" when stopped on a transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.