DMR Simplex Tests on the Anytone D878##

ve3rd

The Anytone D878uv Plus and The Anytone D878UVII Plus both have the following options for setting a channel.
1697908152381.png
Repeater mode will not be commented on here.

Radio 1 - Anytone D878UV Plus
Radio 2 - Anytone D878UVII Plus
Both radios on the same simplex frequency

DMO/Simplex (the most popular mode I see in use)
Tests Done in DMO Mode indicate that regardless of what is selected for transmit either TS1 or TS2, the other radio will converse with it on either TS1 or TS2
ie: Radio 1 TS1 communicates with Radio 2 TS2 and reverse is also true.
To me this indicates that the receiver is listening to both time slots and locks into the one received, and the other goes idle.
Example: Radio 1 TS1 to Radio 2 TS2. Radio 2 hears Radio 1 on TS1 and opens the receiver. Radio 2 transmits back on TS2 which Radio 1 hears on TS2 and opens the receiver. So in this regard both Time slots are used, but only one at time. If Both radios are on one Timeslot then only that one timeslot is active.

DCDM TS Split
Radio 1 TS1 will not communicate with Radio 2 TS1(EH?)
However it will communicate with Radio 2 on TS2.
This mode might be useful for a master to talk to a bunch of slaves which cannot communicate with each other
I suspect that Radio 1 TS1 is transmitting on TS1 and listening on TS2 while Radio 2 TS2 transmits on TS2 and listens on TS1

DCDM/Double Slot (My TYT MD390UV has this capability - but not tested)
Radio 1 TS1 will communicate with Radio 2 TS1
Radio 1 TS2 will communicate with Radio 2 TS2
Radio 1 TS1 will NOT communicate with Radio 2 TS2
Radio 1 TS2 will NOT communicate with Radio 2 TS1

I am no expert on this stuff by any means, This is just a result of testing the indicated modes on my two D878 Radios
I will leave it up to the experts to explain what is actually happening under the covers so to speak.

Phil VE3RD

ve3rd

image.png

danderso

The Anytone D878uv Plus and The Anytone D878UVII Plus both have the following options for setting a channel.
View attachment 150003

Tests Done in DMO Mode indicate that regardless of what is selected for transmit either TS1 or TS2, the other radio will converse with it on either TS1 or TS2
To me this indicates that the receiver is listening to both time slots and locks into the one received, and the other goes idle.
Example: Radio 1 TS1 to Radio 2 TS2. Radio 2 hears Radio 1 on TS1 and opens the receiver. Radio 2 transmits back on TS2 which Radio 1 hears on TS2 and opens the receiver. So in this regard both Time slots are used, but only one at time. If Both radios are on one Timeslot then only that one timeslot is active.

DCDM TS Split
This mode might be useful for a master to talk to a bunch of slaves which cannot communicate with each other
I suspect that Radio 1 TS1 is transmitting on TS1 and listening on TS2 while Radio 2 TS2 transmits on TS2 and listens on TS1

I am no expert on this stuff by any means, This is just a result of testing the indicated modes on my two D878 Radios
I will leave it up to the experts to explain what is actually happening under the covers so to speak.

Phil VE3RD
Also not an expert, but I'd like to rule out the possibility that with DMO/SIMPLEX, the radios are both monitoring TS1 AND TS2, so that radio 1 TS1 is actually being replied to by radio 2 on TS2, and vice versa.

Don - KJ7OKE

ve3rd

View attachment 150003

DCDM TS Split

Phil VE3RD
The radio display shows what time slot it is receiving and transmitting on in DMR/Simplex mode. So my conjecture indicated above holds true.

ve3rd

The radio display shows what time slot it is receiving and transmitting on in DMR/Simplex mode. So my conjecture indicated above holds true.
1710862485861.png
if a radio1 in simplex, transmits on TS2, and a radio2 set to either TS1 or TS2 turns on its receiver then it stands to reason that radio2 is listening on both time slots. (promiscuos mode/Digital Monitor was off)

Don - KJ7OKE
"Also not an expert, but I'd like to rule out the possibility that with DMO/SIMPLEX, the radios are both monitoring TS1 AND TS2, so that radio 1 TS1 is actually being replied to by radio 2 on TS2, and vice versa."

I had to read this several times to wrap my head around what was said

"rule out the possibility that with DMO/SIMPLEX, the radios are both monitoring TS1 AND TS2"
Then he goes on to say "so that radio 1 TS1 is actually being replied to by radio 2 on TS2, and vice versa." which confirms that both radios monitor both time slots. and what he says in the second part is correct, as to be able to respond on TS2. the radio must have heard the transmission on TS1.

Last edited:

pb3400

Feed Provider
There are no timeslots and no concept of timeslots whatsoever on DMO/simplex mode, because there is no timing leader elected to provide timing to synchronize the transmissions. (Tier 1)
DCDM is also called TDMA direct mode, that's when one of the radios is elected timing leader, so that all other radios can synchronize to it and support 2 timeslots. (Tier 2)

W3STY

I have a similar problem. My new out of the box D878UVIIPlus will not connect to my Zumspot hotspot. I have a Connect Systems CS580 that works perfectly. Using the Enhanced Monitor function on the CS580, I can see that even when the Anytone is set to TS2, the CS580 monitor shows it as TS1. When using simplex, the CS580 only hears the 878 when CS580 listens on TS1, this works when 878 sends on TS1 or TS2. When CS580 listens on TS2 it never hears the 878. This makes me think the 878 simply never does TS2 and explains why the Zumspot never hears it. I am still debugging it and will try some bigger freq offsets to see if thats it (I already tried some, but +-50hz only).

pb3400

Feed Provider
I have a similar problem. My new out of the box D878UVIIPlus will not connect to my Zumspot hotspot. I have a Connect Systems CS580 that works perfectly. Using the Enhanced Monitor function on the CS580, I can see that even when the Anytone is set to TS2, the CS580 monitor shows it as TS1. When using simplex, the CS580 only hears the 878 when CS580 listens on TS1, this works when 878 sends on TS1 or TS2. When CS580 listens on TS2 it never hears the 878. This makes me think the 878 simply never does TS2 and explains why the Zumspot never hears it. I am still debugging it and will try some bigger freq offsets to see if thats it (I already tried some, but +-50hz only).
Honestly that does not sound right. How are you programming the channel in CPS? Can you attach a screenshot of the CPS channel config that you're using to try and talk to your hotspot?

rf_patriot200

View attachment 150003

DCDM TS Split

Phil VE3RD
Match up your Time slot and color code on each radio and assign Talk group 99 in both radios, and both radios will talk to each other.