DMR Single Channel Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab5r

I would like to program a single ham radio DMR station into my SDS200, but do not know how. Please advise where I may find instructions - or - how to do it.

Thanks & have a nice holiday weekend.
Jerry AB5R

ab5r

I searched through 10 pages of posts and did NOT see that this was EVER posted to the group...........

Ubbe

Push the channel button to stop scan, enter the frequency of the DMR station and push enter twice.
Done.

You will hear all talk groups from that DMR station. If you would like to be able to avoid some TG's and name others you'll have to go to the menu, or use Sentinel, and select to create a new system and select DMR One Frequency and add the frequency there in the Site menu.
Done.

HAMs do not use trunked systems with several channels so no need to find LCN or even add color codes.
When a TG appears on the display you push enter and save it and then name tag it, or avoid it.

/Ubbe

Reactions: RRR

u2brent

OAMPT
Push the channel button to stop scan, enter the frequency of the DMR station and push enter twice.
Done.

You will hear all talk groups from that DMR station. If you would like to be able to avoid some TG's and name others you'll have to go to the menu, or use Sentinel, and select to create a new system and select DMR One Frequency and add the frequency there in the Site menu.
Done.

HAMs do not use trunked systems with several channels so no need to find LCN or even add color codes.
When a TG appears on the display you push enter and save it and then name tag it, or avoid it.

/Ubbe

More than one way to skin a cat..
Those LCN and Color Code details (were pointed out); If you read the post closely. :rolleyes:

Should have mentioned as well that you can assign TG's to a specific slot 1/2 in the one frequency type programing..

Last edited:

ab5r

Thank you U2brent & Ubbe. I should explain that I am a 85 YO dumb a-- and don't speak DMR or Abbreviations. I simply wanted to monitor DMR traffic to determine IF that I wanted to invest in a DMR radio. I appreciate your replies.

Ubbe

In HAM DMR the TG's functions are the same regardless of time slot, so no need to complicate it more than neccesary and bring in program information about other systems.

There's only very few non-HAM systems that use the the same TG number for different functions depending of time slot used in the same DMR frequency. It seems that those systems where designed by a guy who plainly treated each slot as a seperate channel and copied an old analog system directly to a DMR system and replaced subtones for talk groups.

/Ubbe

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have my SDS's set up on HAM as OFT (One Frequency Trunking) and all the BrandMeister Talk Groups TG's are the same for each site so I entered only the TG's I was interested in and look up unlisted just to see where it is from. Also welcome to the new digital world of ham (it is neat) and enjoy your new SDS200.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Thank you U2brent & Ubbe. I should explain that I am a 85 YO dumb a-- and don't speak DMR or Abbreviations. I simply wanted to monitor DMR traffic to determine IF that I wanted to invest in a DMR radio. I appreciate your replies.

Are you aware that your SDS200 is already a DMR capable radio but you will need to buy the DMR KEY from Uniden and enter it into the radio to successfully monitor DMR.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
A "One frequency" DMR channel has no use for LCN's.

Reading the post clearly, he stated he wanted to program a "single ham radio DMR station"

u2brent

OAMPT
A "One frequency" DMR channel has no use for LCN's.

Reading the post clearly, he stated he wanted to program a "single ham radio DMR station"

OK, Got it.

From post #3
be aware that DMR has LCN's that must be correct for Trunking (Not on a One Freq system) and Color Codes that may be added to the site data

;)

Joe_Blough

At 85 with a SDS 200 you are certainly not a dumb a--. It's a complex radio and to take the dive at getting and using one is admirable. The ham DMR radios are pretty cheap. You can get dual band ones for less than $100, probably a bit more for name brand ones but I get what you are saying about monitoring first. 85 with with an SDS 200 tells me you are youbg at heart. Very cool.

Reactions: RRR

ab5r

Hi Joe.

RR is not letting me reply to our conversation. I get an error message about allowing Cookies. as far as I know, they ARE allowed. So, I'll reply here and hope you see it:

Yes and No. I got some expert advice and even programming, but no joy in receiving any DMR traffic. I have two alleged DMR sites fairly close (15-20 miles) and are programmed into my SDS200. I have the DMR upgrade, but heard nothing from either station. I can hear noise bursts on my analog scanners, but nothing on SDS200.

I am not too heart broken as I hope to move into the DFW area later in the year. DMR should be better there. Mainly, I was just curious as to DMR and learn about it.

Thanks for inquiring. My SDS200 is working fine locally; even in a simulcast environment!

Regards,
Jerry

Joe_Blough

Hi Joe.

RR is not letting me reply to our conversation. I get an error message about allowing Cookies. as far as I know, they ARE allowed. So, I'll reply here and hope you see it:

Yes and No. I got some expert advice and even programming, but no joy in receiving any DMR traffic. I have two alleged DMR sites fairly close (15-20 miles) and are programmed into my SDS200. I have the DMR upgrade, but heard nothing from either station. I can hear noise bursts on my analog scanners, but nothing on SDS200.

I am not too heart broken as I hope to move into the DFW area later in the year. DMR should be better there. Mainly, I was just curious as to DMR and learn about it.

Thanks for inquiring. My SDS200 is working fine locally; even in a simulcast environment!
Yes I do see your message here.

It is probably the distance. I have a DMR site less than 2 miles from my house running 100 watts and even with a 9 element 13dBi yagi, (although inside) I have trouble picking it up but am using an SDR dongle. Don't have an SDS200 yet.

Thank you for replying.

W5JCK

Hi Joe.

Regards,
Jerry

Here is a simplified list of DFW area DMR sites I programmed into my x36HP scanners three years ago. I have no idea if they are still valid as I have since given up on DMR. I simply got tired of it very quickly. t was the same few folks calling CQ every day. I prefer HF. At any rate, maybe this list will help you program your scanner. I would double check to see if they are still valid though as I wrote that post back in 2016.

Post about DFW DMR Systems from 2016

They worked back then as you can see from a video I posted on Youtube. I did have some reception issues even with a higher gain antenna installed outside. The x36HP scanners were not that great with my local ham DMR systems. My little, cheap TYT MD-380 did much better.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber

Regards,
Jerry
Manually programed channels must include looking at "service type" If "custom" then go into Service type list and make sure it's checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.