DMR Sounds like Donald Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjm2001

NM Colfax County SO has upgraded to a DMR MotoTrbo radio system that I have programmed in as a conventional radio frequency in the VHF band. It shows up as a DMR signal on CC12.

The audio I am getting sounds like Donald Duck so my question is, Do I have a setting incorrect or is this the encryption that a DMR channel has which seems odd since it is a digital radio? Is there a status bit that I need to change or invert a signal somehow?

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
NM Colfax County SO has upgraded to a DMR MotoTrbo radio system that I have programmed in as a conventional radio frequency in the VHF band. It shows up as a DMR signal on CC12.

The audio I am getting sounds like Donald Duck so my question is, Do I have a setting incorrect or is this the encryption that a DMR channel has which seems odd since it is a digital radio? Is there a status bit that I need to change or invert a signal somehow?

Okay, I'm curious: do you have an audio clip that I can listen to of this?

SCPD

QRT
They, along with few others will be rolling out encryption. Following suit of Lea County and 2 large entities will be going same route next year or two. A few entities chose p25 platforms, few others chose dmr and trbo. The counties who been upgrading have capabilities to run nxdn, dmr or trbo and p25 give or take one or less at dispatch centers upgrading consoles in NM. Why some you'll notice emission designator for those formats but haven't used them yet. The capability is there specially if the county next door is p25 and one is using trbo. Numerous have been upgrading past year and half to digital capable, some waiting on going digital until others in area can patch or also go digital.

I should add you should worry when you see SP having a different radio installed in the car next to the state mobile. This in NM indicates the locals will be, or are going to a different format, or encryption that the main radio will not handle mostly in aspects the state requires a entity to supply a programmed radio installed at locals cost, usu ally done in house by those entities with local gov tech who does it. Since some state officers transfer districts it is easier to just install a mobile in a vacant slot, remove it when he or she transfers to another district and install the local radio into the next incoming unit while the outgoing will get his or her next districts local agency radio setup with scan lists channels etc.

Last edited:

gary123

TRBO analog scrambling is inversion. Digital basic/Advanced is more complex and sounds more 'digital'.

Status
Not open for further replies.