• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

DMR Tier 1 and 2 in the database

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm trying to improve my understanding of how we have the DMR stuff in the database - specifically the conventional stuff. As I understand it, Tier 1 refers to unlicensed conventional, while Tier 2 refers to licensed conventional. There appears to be no direct way - short of looking it up in the FCC records - to determine which a particular listing is. So do we assume that all listings are Tier 2, or what? Mike

IAmSixNine

Premium Subscriber
I believe DMR Tier 1 was more European and not seen in the USA. DMR Tier 2 in the USA is conventional while DMR Tier 3 is Trunking.
Hopefully that helps.

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
Not quite correct: DMR Trunking can be T2, or T3. Most of the UHF systems are tier 2, while the 900 MHz seems to be mainly tier 3. And then you have the Motorola stuff... All the MotoTRBO Connect Plus, and Capacity Plus systems fit in Tier 2 specs but also can have proprietary aspects by Motorola making them technically non compliant. While Capacity MAX has dual operating capabilities, it can operate in pure Tier 3 compliance, or use proprietary mode making it non compliant.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's interesting info, but I was asking about the DMR conventional stuff in the database - are they basically all Tier 2? Or something else?

Mike

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
Tier 2. And scanners really do not differentiate on conventional. And that is the primary focus of this site.