DMR Trunked System question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAYSCAN

Premium Subscriber
I should not have posted that picture because it was taken more than 50 miles away from the tower. I will post another picture in just a few minutes and tell me what you think about it. Thanks for the reply sir!

TRAYSCAN

Premium Subscriber
This picture was taken less than 15 miles away from the tower

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 43

Ubbe

It's probably the auto setting for the threshold that interfers. A setting of 12 seems unrealistic. Make that a manual setting and set it at 8.

/Ubbe

enCrypt

This sounds similar to a problem I'm having with a local CAP+ system on my UBCD3600XLT (430HP equivalent)
I have all the freqs saved in my Quicksave system / dept and I hear everything that happens on the system there (checked with DSD+ on laptop), but the scanner often will not stop on the MOTOTrbo system I have programmed for this network.
I think it is an LCN issue too, so I have a question...
Do I need to run the LCN finder on every site in my local system in order for the radio to track things properly, or is running the LCN finder on ONE of the sites only, sufficient?

Thanks...

TRAYSCAN

Premium Subscriber
I have been told to run the LCN finder on EVERY site. This can be very time-consuming, depending on how active the system is. From what I understand, Uniden scanners need to have the LCN programmed into them correctly, but the LCN doesn’t matter on the Whistler scanners. I am certainly not an expert on this, maybe somebody else can add to this

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have been told to run the LCN finder on EVERY site. This can be very time-consuming, depending on how active the system is. From what I understand, Uniden scanners need to have the LCN programmed into them correctly, but the LCN doesn’t matter on the Whistler scanners. I am certainly not an expert on this, maybe somebody else can add to this

Whistler scanners don't "trunk track" these systems, but instead they "decode the frequencies as they are scanning". I owned a TRX-2 and if you had a large system to monitor, if you tried to hold on a talk group, the scanner would "scan" all the frequencies and hope it would land on the talk group. Uniden behaves closer to how two-way radios handle these systems and is why they're more expensive because of the technology and licenses they have to purchase to implement in the scanner.

It is time consuming to run LCN on each site, but at least you know it's done right and you'll be trunking properly.

enCrypt

Thanks both,
It is a 5 site system and I'm fairly certain I know where 2 of the sites are so its time for yet more detective work (but that is part of the fun of scanning for me!)

Ubbe

You only need to program more than one site if other sites carries different kinds of traffic. If the lack of traffic intensity makes it difficult tp get the last couple of LCN's, then run with what you have discovered so far. If the system use those LCN's that seldom then you will also encounter missed traffic that seldom.

/Ubbe

garys

Premium Subscriber
What are the Digital Threshold settings? I listen to a couple of DMR systems with the settings a "Manual" and '9" and get good decode. When I ran with a lower setting, I had problems decoding some signals.

Ubbe

Threshold value depends of the system. Look at the bit error rate, push the func button and as long as the F is lit in the display you can turn the dial and change the value until you find the one that gives the lowest number of bit errors.

A lower value opens the "window" more so that it decodes the data easier but also let in more noise, so it is a balancing act.
I usually start at 6 as it will stop on almost any signal and decode and then I try to adjust the value. Too high value and it doesn't decode and just skips over the channel while scanning.

/Ubbe

enCrypt

You only need to program more than one site if other sites carries different kinds of traffic. If the lack of traffic intensity makes it difficult tp get the last couple of LCN's, then run with what you have discovered so far. If the system use those LCN's that seldom then you will also encounter missed traffic that seldom.

/Ubbe
Thanks Ubbe,
When you say "different kinds of traffic" do you mean different talkgroups on one site to another?
My multisite system is only because I live in a very hilly area and is so that all users can connect to the network wherever they are so it'll be the same talkgroups using all sites.

Thanks...

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Curious, why is there a "Screven county" tower, and a "Sylvania" tower listed, but they are within a mile or so of each other?

Are they on 2 different systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.