DMR Upgrade question for future scanner purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

shajoe44

I am thinking of purchasing a Uniden scanner mainly for DMR monitoring. I have Whistler scanners right now, TRX-1 and 3 1065's as well as the PSR500. I want to dedicate the new scanner for DMR scanning of 2 local agencies. They are not busy systems but I like the "true" trunk tracking features of the Unidens. My questions are, can the upgrade be done by me after the purchase or does it need to be done by the company I purchase the scanner from? I see where most charge $75 for this upgrade. Also does the data cable come with the Uniden's or is this extra also. I really like the 996. Thanks

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am thinking of purchasing a Uniden scanner mainly for DMR monitoring. I have Whistler scanners right now, TRX-1 and 3 1065's as well as the PSR500. I want to dedicate the new scanner for DMR scanning of 2 local agencies. They are not busy systems but I like the "true" trunk tracking features of the Unidens. My questions are, can the upgrade be done by me after the purchase or does it need to be done by the company I purchase the scanner from? I see where most charge $75 for this upgrade. Also does the data cable come with the Uniden's or is this extra also. I really like the 996. Thanks

You can do the upgrade yourself at any time. DMR upgrade cost is $60 at my.uniden.com

The upgrade process is very simple, and takes only a few minutes to complete.

If you're speaking of the Uniden BCD996P2, yes, it comes with a USB cable.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
My questions are, can the upgrade be done by me after the purchase or does it need to be done by the company I purchase the scanner from? I see where most charge $75 for this upgrade. Also does the data cable come with the Uniden's or is this extra also. I really like the 996. Thanks

You can (and IMHO should) do the upgrade yourself. It takes probably 10 minutes max, and saves you the 'service charge' that dealers tack on.

The BCD996P2 comes with a mini-USB cable that plugs into the front jack for firmware upgrades, programming and remote control. If you want to use the serial connector on the back instead (who's primary purpose is for connection of a GPS) you will need a null-modem serial-to-USB cable. Note that firmware upgrades *must* be done via the USB, but many people prefer a cable coming out of the back of the scanner for day-to-day operations.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Before you do the upgrade, make sure that your scanner has the latest firmware version. The upgrades already reside in the firmware and you have to purchase a separate key to enable ProVoice, DMR, or NXDN.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Any suggestions as to the best scanner for DMR outside of the SDS200. I am wanting a desktop model.
While the 996P2, as sallen07 has recommended, cam monitor DMR and NXDN with the paid upgrades, the 536HP might be a better choice. Yes, you can program DMR or NXDN into a 996P2 (after the paid upgrades are done), but that's if it is already documented with the LCN's specifed. The 996P2, nor the portable sibling 325P2, have the LCN capability of the 536HP and SDS200.

The 536HP and SDS200 both have an LCN finder under the Analyze options in the main menu. If you have what appears to be a DMR trunked system, but it is not in the database, the LCN Finder can identify channel designations to program the system to track properly.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Register at my.uniden.com
Upgrade the scanner firmware first.
Then register the scanner and enter the code from Uniden.
Then you are ready to program the DMR System (Do not forget to program the LCN's).

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The 536HP and SDS200 both have an LCN finder under the Analyze options in the main menu. If you have what appears to be a DMR trunked system, but it is not in the database, the LCN Finder can identify channel designations to program the system to track properly.

Good point. I use mine to listen to systems that are already documented, so I didn't think about that.

shajoe44

So if I am going to be using the scanner more along the "search and find" it will be better to go with the 536HP? What other features does it have over the 996P2 that causes the difference in cost? Also I see where the 996P2 comes with the data cable and it looks like it has to be purchased if I go with the 536HP. I run DSDPlus to often find agencies and DMR systems in my area but I do like the search features of the 536HP.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
#1. The 526 comes with the data cable.
#2. The 536 comes with the complete Radio Reference Database stored on a SD Card in the Scanner.
#3. The 536 comes with a WIFI USB network device.
#4. The 536 comes with tools to help decode NXDN and DMR Trunking Info.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Also I see where the 996P2 comes with the data cable and it looks like it has to be purchased if I go with the 536HP.

From the Scanner Master ad for the BCD536HP:

In the box
  • Antenna (Back of Set)
  • Mobile DC Power Adapter
  • AC Adapter
  • USB Cable
  • Three-wire Harness
  • Mounting Bracket and Hardware
  • Printed Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.