DMR upgrade work with Motorola XPR 7550 digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwhitee

The DMR upgrade will pick up frequency from my work radio now? Its a motorola xpr 7550 using a digital frequency with a color code.

Does the DMR work with the close call feature?

Ubbe

I beleive it will only decode basestation transmissions or a mobile/portable in simplex transmission, not a mobile/portable that transmits to a DMR system.

/Ubbe

racingfan360

I beleive it will only decode basestation transmissions or a mobile/portable in simplex transmission, not a mobile/portable that transmits to a DMR system.
/Ubbe

Hi Ubbe - just to clarify, a BDCx36HP does decode the uplink side of a half-duplex DMR system (ie the signal from a portable/mobile sending to the base station), as well as the base station transmissions. DSD+ with a tapped scanner/dongle will do the same. But this is different to a DMR transceiver which does not decode the uplink side of the system.

mrwhitee

Im trying to get it to work, It made the backlight come on but no sound came so maybe Im not doing it correctly.

racingfan360

Go to MENU > Srch/CloCal Opt > Digital Wait time set to anything between 0 and 400ms, Digital Threshold set to Manual, Digital Threshold Level set to 5.

Manually tune to the frequency that your XPR is transmitting on.

Check that modulation = FM.

Does that work?

Ubbe

If you set digital wait time to 0 you should be able to hear the digital sound for half a second and if the audio then mutes it most probably are encryption in your work radio.

/Ubbe

mrwhitee

Go to MENU > Srch/CloCal Opt > Digital Wait time set to anything between 0 and 400ms, Digital Threshold set to Manual, Digital Threshold Level set to 5.

Manually tune to the frequency that your XPR is transmitting on.

Check that modulation = FM.

Does that work?

It started working a little. I can hear the first word that I speak but then it stops.

In the CPS software it shows security set to basic.

I guess that is encrypted? Does that encryption apply to all channels programmed in the radio or can it be turned off for certain ones?

Attachments

• cps.jpg
    cps.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:

racingfan360

In the CPS software it shows security set to basic.
I guess that is encrypted?

Yes, if the programming says it's encrypted, then it probably is then ! That's pretty much as conclusive as you can get. Other than the now discontinued ADCR25, you won't find a scanner and/or software that decodes encryption.

Does that encryption apply to all channels programmed in the radio or can it be turned off for certain ones?
It depends who set it up, and how. In most CPS setups, you have the ability to switch it on/off per channel, and set different parameters per channel (such as Key ID etc).

I'm a bit confused on who is programming this XPR 7550 here: you first say its a work radio, but then you have access to the CPS?

mrwhitee

Yes, I use it at my work, I have my own business and travel to a lot of properties where the maintenance guys use radios because the cell phones get poor reception if any inside the buildings and up on the roof tops. This way I can communicate with them much quicker. I bought the radio and software and programmed myself. So far all I have in here are just the frequencies for two of the properties and the GMRS channels. They let me look at their radios in CPS so I could copy the settings to make mine work.

I can communicate with them just fine but no one ever answers me on GMRS so I just figured I was out of range but maybe I have accidentally encrypted GMRS when I copied the settings for the properties.

Obviously, I have a lot of learning to do.

I will turn that basic encryption off and see if it changes anything.

I did not realize this was going to be so difficult when I bought the radio.

I spent a lot of money on this but it was worth it for the time it saves on the job.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Encryption is only possible if you're broadcasting in a digital mode (DMR, P25, etc.), which are not allowed on GMRS frequencies.

mrwhitee

Ok...the encryption is definitely off now. Im not sure it was ever really on but it is set to none now.

I have the scanner programmed with the frequency used on the property and the band is FM at 12.5 KHz

Also, have the digital wait time on zero and the threshold to manual and the threshold level on 5.

results: scanner lights up and sometimes I will hear a word or static and then it stops,

The display will show DMR at botton right of screen.
It flashes slot 2 beside the DMR.

Top of screen shows
Net 0 : Site 0
TG 0 : U 0

mrwhitee

Encryption is only possible if you're broadcasting in a digital mode (DMR, P25, etc.), which are not allowed on GMRS frequencies.

Thanks, I did not know that GMRS could not be digital. Seems kind of strange but rules are rules . I admit I was very confused on this. I read everything was going digital which is another reason I bought the xpr 7550 but apparently they were just talking about the ham frequencies and not the GMRS. Its still good that I got it or it wouldnt have worked for the properties I wanted it for. I just got lucky on that though.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.

Say Huh what now? Encryption is very possible on ANY mode. It just sounds horrible on non digital systems.

mrwhitee

Say Huh what now? Encryption is very possible on ANY mode. It just sounds horrible on non digital systems.

Not sure but he may have been referring to CPS not giving an option to encrypt analog channels. Instead it has an option to scramble. I assume thats what he meant.

racingfan360

Ok...the encryption is definitely off now. Im not sure it was ever really on but it is set to none now.

I have the scanner programmed with the frequency used on the property and the band is FM at 12.5 KHz

Also, have the digital wait time on zero and the threshold to manual and the threshold level on 5.

results: scanner lights up and sometimes I will hear a word or static and then it stops,

The display will show DMR at botton right of screen.
It flashes slot 2 beside the DMR.

Top of screen shows
Net 0 : Site 0
TG 0 : U 0

Sounds like you are making progress, but not quite there. Try putting some distance between transceiver and your scanner.... you might be over loading the front end.

Note the x36HP range don't decode simplex dmr as well as you might hope. On Uhf it should be better, but VHF can be very hit and miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.