DMR Vs. NXDN Use In The Twin Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I did a post on this last year. With regards to DMR vs. NXDN in the Twin Cities metropolitan area, are there still way more frequencies using DMR compared to NXDN?

stmills

From what I find DMR is the big player in the Twin Cities. NXDN that I have found: M Health Fairview uses conventional NXDN, Target Headquarters has an NXDN trunked system, Macalester College has an NXDN trunked system, MRE runs a Wide area NXDN trunked system

n9upc

I tend to see the digital voice mode of preference based upon the brand loyalty that people have for radios. Meaning if you were Moto then you went DMR and if you were Kenwood then you went NXDN. On a few occasions and when I have worked with people and switching systems I look at the end result. The features of both are very significant and different as compared to one another.

stmills

Is it brand loyalty or just dealer loyalty/non loyalty. I have found it interesting looking at some licenses in the metro and every few years when a change is made to some systems (I am referring to business systems ) such as add a new repeater add more channels, they seem to be with s new dealer- radios are first purchased from dealer A, upgrade to the system adding a new repeater is with dealer b, switching to Digital is with Dealer C. I am a bit at how often some businesses jump from dealer to dealer, just adding to the systems not always full replacements.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am giving this another try. Does anybody happen to know how well it works or if it is up-to-date?

stmills

Fairly good site, the 1 issue is that some licenses have added digital but haven't moved or have multiple modes but are only using one- I have seen some that have P25, NXDN and DMR along with NFM, but are only on DMR- when you search for the other modes this will show up

JASII

Memory Capacity
Yes, I noticed the same thing. I gather that when they upgrade their license they simply request more than one digital mode to make sure they are good to go. It shows this as a NXDN repeater. Perhaps I will try and listen to it.

EDIT: IT sounds to me like it is still analog and carrier squelch.

160.23FB215Soo Systems Radio Communications CorporationSAINT PAUL
IG​
Common Carrier Railroad

Last edited:

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I am a bit at how often some businesses jump from dealer to dealer, just adding to the systems not always full replacements.
If other business owners are like the owner of the place I work it's not surprising at all. He's constantly changing companies for various things to get a better price. I've been there eight years and I think we're had four changes in payment processors in that time and two different retirement plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.