DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JONERICH

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me who is responsible for the mode assignments? In Colfax Co. the law enforcement is all on DMR mode and as far as I can see, the only county to be doing so. Are they just a name in a hat that gets drawn on mode assignment day? Or are the police so top secret that they have to use any and all means in which to stay un-noticed...and un-heard?

nd5y

Nobody assigns modes. If a PLMR licensee operates their own system they can use whatever mode their equipment supports as long as it doesn't violate FCC regulations.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Curry County and Clovis PD are using NXDN... They want the advantages of going digital, but, not the price tag of P25. If an agency wants to be "un-heard," their simple solution is to encrypt their comms.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I agree with abqscan.

It was a less cost aternative to a modern infrastructure That it's digital and worked at testing.

None the less they are using Kenwoods capable of p25 if they choose to buy the license for them.

Chaves county uses a mix of Motorola and Kenwood nx series. They use p25 but the county has the ability if need be to pay the license and use dmr if they wanted or be interoperability with others.

So others choose the high end radio capable of multi mode digital.

Nxdn comes default in Kenwoods. Dmr isn't that much of a add on either literally a steal with what some got offered at bid for the added features.

I can also say for fact if they wanted to hide they could as they also have aes hardware aside from the free 48 bit freebie encryption which they haven't used yet for most part.

Far as I know chaves, others who are getting the nx5000 line opted for the p25 keys, dmr, and aes but the use is another thing.

So no secret digital escape. It was same quality equipment at way less with more features.

Modern scanner can decode dmr and nxdn.

Now some are utilizing radio authentication so unless you got a consumer scanner you won't be able to just pop in frequencies on a nx radio or equivalent and hear.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
As a DMR system owner I deploy at complete random when it comes to the TS and TG and CC. No real reason. When I deploy a new radio system same applies just some random stuff for the day.

As for chaves William I think you might have very very old info. Have not seen any Motorola units in use other than State Police in the county. The entire county is using Kenwood NX5000 series with P25 enabled. No plans to use DMR and not a single unit has AES encryption. I think they are trying to build out some kind of P25 system but they been working on that for the last 3 years. Who knows if they will ever get anywhere. I did hear rumors they were talking to the state about maybe joining state wide 700 system.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
As a DMR system owner I deploy at complete random when it comes to the TS and TG and CC. No real reason. When I deploy a new radio system same applies just some random stuff for the day.

As for chaves William I think you might have very very old info. Have not seen any Motorola units in use other than State Police in the county. The entire county is using Kenwood NX5000 series with P25 enabled. No plans to use DMR and not a single unit has AES encryption. I think they are trying to build out some kind of P25 system but they been working on that for the last 3 years. Who knows if they will ever get anywhere. I did hear rumors they were talking to the state about maybe joining state wide 700 system.

A couple of their fire guys had apx 4000s. Im aware they have the nx line mainly. Whether it was oem cache they had or loaners I didn't ask.

Most is what I hear or see from others in the field.

State is without doubt rolling out 700mhz. As some noticed a few tgs fully E already the E is definitely going to occur down road fully with states 700. It's a slow process but is happening once all the states end is capable.

They were mostly interested with the apx8000 I have to how we set up some of the 5200s here. When inquired they said they could use aes but haven't.

The eye catcher was the 8000 being multi band with uhf meds, some 700 and vhf.

There is 2 counties currently using E but on limited basis with car to car or simplex tacs. Eventually those 2 plan to fully go to it once everyone has new programming in and hardware similar to route hobbs took though they plan to have fire as well as ems where hobbs didnt.

I know Chaves is still maintaining the analog repeater pairs as well as the p25 end but they want to fully be p25 on everything.

Eddy is slowly heading into p25 as well.

The monies is where problem lies for most but I see the state solving that issue later once the 700 is fully built out.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I heard Eddy County is joining the State 700 and not building a new system.

I also think Chaves and all the cities in Chaves all have new P25 repeaters and have removed all the old Analog units from the field. Fire remains Analog but all the law enforcement have switched to P25. Not sure why fire is still Analog my guess is they are still changing out subscribers in the county.

Yes lots of encryption is being used in many departments with even more to follow. State system is full of Encrypted TG already.

I bet many departments next year start joining the state system. It is picking up a lot speed with the build out going very fast.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
They plan to but it is just plan and talks liie most have been bickering of.

You'd be lucky in the south with 2 or 3 counties can agree with their towns on anything from psaps to a common ground on anything communications related currently.

They are barely affording the p25 vhf upgrades the sites are getting to replace the analog end, slow going and many users still on analog only equipment but indeed they have upgraded some sites it's to do digital but haven't used it for most part minus a few uses.

One issue affecting many mid state down is most blew through grant money on prior hardware and buying bulk of Motorola at high price.

Add in other issues and so on many are reverting to cost effective vendors such as kenwood, bk, icom to afford anything currently.

The state stayed in its spot and waited to make the move which was smart. Even they are having money issues now with build out but it's slow going forward.

Inevitably you'll end up seeing multi band purchases a ways down later on whether it's Kenwood high tier or Motorola with many maintaining vhf while utilizing a tg or two on the state system.

I know analog is/will be maintained as that was discussed for mixed mode due to fact A LOT who have mou's with a few for mutual aide are still carrying analog only equipment.

While it wouldn't effect cities like Carlsbad or roswell anyone who works near the wildland gig will maintain analog mixed mode, at least for the time being.

Last I checked all the chaves so sites still pass analog on repeated along with p25.

I could name more than 3 dozen agencies still using cdms on the rack in the repeater rooms which would surprise some.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I have been hearing a lot of radio traffic on the state system today in Roswell. Sounds like a patch is up with a PD. TG 9 and TG 8 has been busy with some radio checks. I think its Eddy County maybe the sheriff's office trying out the state system. Maybe the rumors are true and they are moving to the state 700 system. Does not sound like Roswell or Chaves county traffic. Also seeing more encrypted traffic here as well on some other TG's. Most radio traffic I have heard in the roswell area 700. Looks like some forward movement here.

I have seen more departments going with EF Johnson Viking radios because of price and better quality. Also more of the newer Kenwood NX5000 series as well. Have not seen much Icom in a while.

I have no doubt Analog will be around and maintained for a long time. As for a P25 repeater they are very much capable of MIXED mode operation. I am sure Chaves is running MIXED mode so if a neighboring department who does not have P25 radio can talk to the county in Analog. That is just interop 101. However I have not heard the sheriff in Chaves or any other Police department in Analog in very long time. All have moved to P25 as primary communications.

I have not seen a site in NM in some time with CDM mobiles installed. Most departments have replaced the CDM and HT family of radios since end of life almost 5 years ago and can no longer be repaired. I know we have replaced hundreds of CDM and HTs with the newer Kenwood NX5000 series radios.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
TG 9 was active all day with the audio patch also present on Sandia Peak, so must have been enabled for statewide. Wasn't able to ID the analog side of the patch. TG 150 was ENC all day with Bernalillo SO traffic. Have also recently heard testing I-Calls between DoIT radio maintenance staff.

The audio level settings varies greatly between radios. Wish they'd learn how to equalize them; some are booming loud audio and some way down. Still testing/adjusting, obviously. When it's good it's really good.

EFJ Viking series are great radios. We used lots and lots of the VP900/VM900 and love the Armada software on my old systems. Icom never really stepped up. BK and Harris made great inroads with good rigs, too.

Probably should move this side of the conversation out of a DMR thread ...

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Yeah must be a statewide patch if your hearing it up north. Still very active here I. Roswell trying to figure out who the patch is. I was thinking it was Eddy county but maybe someone else testing.

No idea who 150 is but it's always encrypted. No traffic in roswell so it must be ABQ metro. How did you figure BCSO? I was thinking maybe auto theft or something special task force. Never the less lots of Encryption on the system

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
TG9 patch today sounds lots better than yesterday, but it sounds like a VOX patch since first syllables are being dropped and short replies missed. Geesh, no COR patch config? Audio on the patch confirms several addresses in Artesia, Eddy Co. Still coming in on Sandia Peak, but not West Mesa or Tesuque, the sites I can hear.

I believe BCSO due to hearing BCSO units on TG109 in the clear as SOxx units, and discussing moving to Ops 150 with same radio ID. They were command staff, specifically sergeants the few times I've heard the operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.