Dnr and fire boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Never have seen either on AIS. Some CG smallboats will show up on AIS once and awhile. NRP boats doing enforcement wouldn't wish to broadcast their position.

apd3190

I have seen Coast guard. Just curious about the others. I can see DNR or NRP (What ever they go by these days)not providing the info but as far as the fire/rescue boats go i would think it would be beneficial for tracking .

maus92

Premium Subscriber
USCGC Sledge is almost always transmitting its AIS signal - mainly because it is a buoy tender and you wouldn't want to get run down by a freighter when repairing ATON's. Occasionally you will see a USCG small boat transmitting AIS. CG Sector Baltimore maintains a radio guard with USCG vessels and aircraft underway in it's AOR. CG SB will poll units to report positions and current operations on 23A, but confidential info is conveyed by mobile phone. I think it would be a good idea for local law enforcement, fire and other SAR assets to be equipped with AIS and transmitting, except during law enforcement surveillance missions.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This morning, CG49428, a 49' buoy tender out of Curtis Bay, is transmitting AIS while operating in the Severn River. And correcting my previous entry, USCGC Sledge is a 75' construction tender. Since these vessels are tenders rather than patrol vessels, they will have black hulls, vs. the white hulls normally seen on larger patrol vessels.

Later this morning on AIS, CG25585, a 25' Defender class patrol boat, is working in the Patapsco River - going pretty fast at 38 knts.

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
Cell phones are really not secure. To be secure the CG uses DES-OFB.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If the vessel/crew is so equipped in tactical law enforcement situations. Cell phones have good coverage in this AOR, and are used routinely by CG assets daily, again for confidential info - classified and tactical info is a different animal. Many times SB will ask the captain of a vessel needing assistance for his cell phone number to communicate more privately. SB will also ask for an onboard cell number when an asset requests a radio guard, and CG units will ask another CG unit to call on his cell - much like police agencies.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Yes, as member of the CG Auxiliary I am aware of the use of cell phones by small boats and other underway units. Just because it is being used doesn't always make it right.

Most use of underway cell phone use I would guess would be general chit chat that has no business tying up a CG radio channel.

I was just stating the facts about cells phones not being as secure as most users think. Below is some links to cell spying programs.

Signs your cell phone may be tapped. - Compfixer.net Blog

YouTube - Tapping your cell phone

Anyone in government or military security would most likely tell more about lack of security when using a cell phone. All very high secure government buildings don't even allow these inside for most the reasons in the above links.

This thread like most others on this Forum got off topic very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.