DNR radio procedure question-South Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

odontia32m

It has been funny listening last night and today. With the start of hunting season the idiots are out in force.

I have heard officers say go to 3 and go to 6 and they disappear. I have all the digital stuff in the scanner are they going back to old VHF? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

usswood

I have heard officers say go to 3 and go to 6 and they disappear. I have all the digital stuff in the scanner are they going back to old VHF? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

U guessed it!!! :) check the Indiana State page for there VHF Freqs that R still in use!!

tc

DiGiTaLD

District Talkgroups

U guessed it!!! :) check the Indiana State page for there VHF Freqs that R still in use!!

tc
Its possible, but I have heard this terminology in another context much more often. When you hear them say "go to (channel number here)", usually they mean go to a district talkgroup, e.g. DNR-LE-D6, etc. Now, if there isn't a radio affiliated to that talkgroup on the particular site you are monitoring, you won't hear any of the traffic.

I tend to think this is a little more likely than them going to VHF, as I have heard the above described scenario many, many times. The key is, you have to be listening to a site that one of their radios (or another officer who may follow them) is affiliated with. It couldn't hurt to monitor VHF, though, just in case. Also remember that probably not all of the district talkgroups are allowed on every site in the region, so it could actually be impossible for a radio to affiliate with a talkgroup on the site you are monitoring.

Last edited:

usswood

Its possible, but I have heard this terminology in another context much more often. When you hear them say "go to (channel number here)", usually they mean go to a district talkgroup, e.g. DNR-LE-D6, etc. Now, if there isn't a radio affiliated to that talkgroup on the particular site you are monitoring, you won't hear any of the traffic.

I tend to think this is a little more likely than them going to VHF, as I have heard the above described scenario many, many times. The key is, you have to be listening to a site that one of their radios (or another officer who may follow them) is affiliated with. It couldn't hurt to monitor VHF, though, just in case. Also remember that probably not all of the district talkgroups are allowed on every site in the region, so it could actually be impossible for a radio to affiliate with a talkgroup on the site you are monitoring.

I had actually ponder that also....I have been trying to check it out with Trunk88...I have just got pretty much all radio ID's matched up and now its a waiting game to see who is in the area when a "go to 6" comes across to see if its VHF or another TG

jerk

In my local area, South Region, it means they are on DNR-LE 6 or 8 or whatever, I hear them switch, then hear them on the new group.

But I'm close enough to areas they work in all the time so usually a radio affiliates with the local tower.

usswood

In my local area, South Region, it means they are on DNR-LE 6 or 8 or whatever, I hear them switch, then hear them on the new group.

But I'm close enough to areas they work in all the time so usually a radio affiliates with the local tower.

sounds like thats a confirmation right there odontia32m, me and u both have learned something new today... :)

funny cause I have the all DNR talkgroups in the radio, I just don't have DNR officers that use the extra TGs...most of those units I hear going to 6 or 8 r in the SE part of the state :(

jamesa53

I know for a fact that the Indiana State Parks still use the old DNR1, 159.240 which has been around for years.

pickles37

I'm not sure there is really any consistent use of channel naming. For instance, I heard them this morning on VHF referring to it as "Channel 6" (i.e. DNR-6 enforcement). When they say "Switch to district X" it does mean the SAFE-T channels, but if they just say, for instance, "go to channel 6" it probably means VHF.

Also, I've heard a fair bit of traffic on SAFE-T DNR OPS channel recently which seems to be of the same nature as the traffic you get on VHF DNR-1. Some non-enforcement operations may be switching over.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure there is really any consistent use of channel naming. For instance, I heard them this morning on VHF referring to it as "Channel 6" (i.e. DNR-6 enforcement). When they say "Switch to district X" it does mean the SAFE-T channels, but if they just say, for instance, "go to channel 6" it probably means VHF.

Also, I've heard a fair bit of traffic on SAFE-T DNR OPS channel recently which seems to be of the same nature as the traffic you get on VHF DNR-1. Some non-enforcement operations may be switching over.

I can tell you that around Johnson County the VHF is used alot. Only when they are in the truck (Dodge 1500) though. Alot of good comm's on the old VHF stuff. Delete all PL's and monitor openly. You will hear alot more. Wink Wink. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.