DNRE and spring fire season ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack3726

Read an article about the upcoming fire season and lack of man power for the dnre. Does the dnre (fire) have a mpscs presence. Last question, if they do and they need to do support from local fire dept how do they handle communications if that fd is not on mpscs, would they still use some old uhf-vhf statewide freq and if so what would that be.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
They are listed in the MPSCS database, I hear them (especially the LP stuff) down here a lot. Most actual ops take place on the local county channels, for example Otsego Co they respond and use the VHF just like anyone else.

ffemtjg

The have both MPSCS and VHF high band mobile radios in their vehicles. The VHF used to be programmed for the areas they respond to as part of their coverage area as well as a network of VHF towers they had across the state at one time. Of course this was quite some time ago (late 90's). I know they generally use the MPSCS to check in and out of service, request more resources, etc. when talking with the fire management regional dispatch center. During daytime hours, the regional center in Roscommon coordinates the northern lower peninsula incidents. After hours, Station 20, takes over if I remember correctly. They do use VHF to talk to the VFD's and the central dispatches in the county they are working in.

Last edited:

RayAir

Read an article about the upcoming fire season and lack of man power for the dnre. Does the dnre (fire) have a mpscs presence. Last question, if they do and they need to do support from local fire dept how do they handle communications if that fd is not on mpscs, would they still use some old uhf-vhf statewide freq and if so what would that be.

They hire about 1,200 seasonal employees over the summer. However, I think its for clean up jobs or something since the pay is less than $8/hr I've been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.