Do both versions of the HomePatrol support the RWC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChPhx96

I'm looking at the wikis, and the page on the RWC states that HomePatrol can receive the RWC, but not the HP2. The HP2's page also mentions that it can pick up P25 Phase II, but doesn't mention Phase I. I'm looking for a scanner that can pick up the system, since my BC796D Can't hear it and is a bit old.

MFD4305

Yes

The quick, no-frills answer is yes. Unfortunately, I can't give a more detailed answer because I don't own an HP2. You'll probably get more replies with more specifics later today....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at the wikis, and the page on the RWC states that HomePatrol can receive the RWC, but not the HP2. The HP2's page also mentions that it can pick up P25 Phase II, but doesn't mention Phase I. I'm looking for a scanner that can pick up the system, since my BC796D Can't hear it and is a bit old.
The answer given by MFD4305 is correct. Both versions of the HP (HP-1 & HP-2) will work for that system. The HP-2 will receive everything the HP-1 covers, and additionally will handle P25 Phase II systems. RWC is a Phase I (FDMA) system, so there is not currently a need for Phase II (TDMA). However, if there are any Phase II systems in your area, or areas where you occasionally vist or travel to or through, on vacation, business, or visiting relatives, the Phase II capability might be needed. The same would apply if there are any plans to eventually convert RWC to Phase II (I have no idea if that's ever been discussed).

I know you are asking about the HP-2. The HP series scanners have the best displays of anything out there at this time. However, the RWC system, depending on your location and position relative to the transmit sites, is often mentioned as being hard to receive, due to simulcast distortion. I'll let somebody in your area speak more to that, but if that is a concern, then the BCD436HP might be a better choice, as it handles that better than the HP-1 or HP-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.