• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do I have a GMRS 9R counterfeit?

I purchased a GMRS 9R. And a GMRS fcc license. I am new at this, can’t figure out much, read 2 books and the manual is no real help on menus, button usage etc.

So I tried downloading and using chirp, because I can not install the Baofeng software on my laptop. (It unzips but can’t find the file after clicking on setup). I had no problem downloading and installing Chirp, however, when I use the software and click on download from radio, I got this message “ Error reading data from radio: not the amount of data we want.” I tried it a few times, checked the com port driver etc.., it’s driver was up dated, but nothing.

Then I decided to check the FCC I’d on the radio. It came up with this message

“ There are no applications on file that match the search criteria specified:

Grantee Code: 2AJGM Product Code: P52UV”

Did that a few times and received the same message. Does this mean this radio is counterfeit?

TT

merlin

Counterfit or never gone through FCC.
False labeling to sell a radio.

Counterfit or never gone through FCC.
False labeling to sell a radio.
The seller was ABBREE, on Amazon. I’ve watched “not a rubicon” on YouTube, review these ABBEER kits, so I was comfortable that they were legitimate. But after what you said, about them not going through the FCC might make sense, if this is something that has occurred in the past with these manufacturers? I’m new to this and still learning. Thanks. Any other advice from you or others appreciated.

TT

nd5y

I got this message “ Error reading data from radio: not the amount of data we want.”
You slected the wrong radio model in the dropdown menu.

Grantee Code: 2AJGM Product Code: P52UV”
There is a 2AJGM-P52UV.
Try -P52UV. The dash is part of the product code.

According to the FCC documentation

To Whom It May Concern:
We, The PO FUNG ELECTRONIC(HK) INTERNATIOANL GROUP
COMPANY hereby declare that the model : P52IC, BF-A58, UV-9R, GT-
3WP, UV82WP, GMRS-9R, UV58X is identical with the model : P52UV,
except the model name & front shell design.
Except for the different above, no other modification is performed.

See if CHIRP has one of the other models listed and try that. If none of them work then your radio probably isn't supported. It could be that they changed something in the firmware and CHIRP no longer recognizes it.

That’s Awesome! Thanks nd5y & Hands13! I really want to keep them and not go through the hassle of a return and a replacement, since we are leaving for our trip in less than 2 weeks.

If I had to return them, I was going to do a return and order only 1 BTech GSMR-Pro, (because of my budget). That one can be configured with an iPhone app. Don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing!

I’m so confused with the GSMR-9R. There are 2 frequency lines on the display, I’m guessing A&B bands, please tell me if I’m wrong? I figured out that with the radio off and holding down the menu button and turning the radio on, takes you in and out of different frequency bands? Again, please tell me if I’m wrong? I know how to switch between UHF and VHF too, but I’m really having a hard time trying to figure this out. I’d like to know how to tune in to a repeater also? And how to set this thing up and scan for channels, that someone may be on, and at least do a radio check and get a response. I learned, holding down the lower, scan button, will put it in scan mode, but it will only stop on some frequencies with static. Maybe my unit is just not powerful enough? I also got it to scan until it hits the NOAA frequencies in my area.
I know where the repeaters are, I download the “myGMSR” app, I see the two repeaters in my area. I’m just clueless on how to tune to them!

I have very little knowledge with these types of radios. I’m a retired fire fighter, back in the day we used the old Motorola MX’s, they were like a brick. But all we ever did was squelch, volume and change channels.

Any further advice from anyone out there is appreciated,

TT

nd5y

I’m so confused with the GSMR-9R. There are 2 frequency lines on the display, I’m guessing A&B bands, please tell me if I’m wrong?
I don't have one so I can't help that much. I don't know how the GMRS model differs from the amateur models. I have no idea what power-on kepad functions it has.

It probably has A and B displays like many other Chinese radios. It probably has a menu function for TDR (toggle dual receive) that allows scanning both channels, but it can't receive two signals at the same time. I don't know if it has one or two PTT keys. Depending on that there could be menu settings for PTT priority on A or B channel.

I don't have one so I can't help that much. I don't know how the GMRS model differs from the amateur models. I have no idea what power-on kepad functions it has.

It probably has A and B displays like many other Chinese radios. It probably has a menu function for TDR (toggle dual receive) that allows scanning both channels, but it can't receive two signals at the same time. I don't know if it has one or two PTT keys. Depending on that there could be menu settings for PTT priority on A or B channel.
Only one PTT. To talk radio to radio, do I have to be on the same frequency as my other handset, or just the same channel? And I belive I can pick up my other FRS radios that I have, if I know their frequencies also? Not sure about any of the above.

Here’s a photo of my unit. Don’t know if looking at the keyboard and funtion buttons if it makes any sense to anyone?

Thanks for everyone’s help, keep’em coming!

TT

Attachments

• 67890BFC-84D4-413F-9DCE-55CF81B9B6FA.jpeg
    67890BFC-84D4-413F-9DCE-55CF81B9B6FA.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 14

nd5y

It probably has 22 GMRS/FRS channels that can't be changed. If that is the case then channels 1-22 should be the same as any other FRS radio. It probably has at least 8 more channels for GMRS repeaters. Since I have never used one I have no idea how you program CTCSS/DCS on the 22 simplex channels, how to program the repeater channels or how to program other receicve-only channels.

Thanks nd5y,

I’m getting the hang of the menu and a little of its operation. I’ll keep digging into this. I’m a little less frustrated now, but I’m the type of person who wants and needs to know every part of this radios operation!

More help and advice appreciated!

TT

merlin

OK these are certified part 95 E GMRS radios. Likely has all 30 channels precanned. Not a power house, but talking across Walmart or neighborhood should be fine. Also means a GMRS license.
My suggestion is sit down with the radio and user guide and play with it til you get to know it a bit.

Last edited:

tomk62

@ThirstyTraveler go watch the video, I skimmed through it and he answers your questions regarding your Chirp issue (at 8:30) and several others. The manual should also answer your questions. The gray button to the right seems to switch A/B (at 7:53) and turning on while holding menu seems to switch between channel and VFO modes (at 10:49). As long as you do not need to set tone codes you likely do not need to do any programming to use it, just select one of the 22/8 GMRS channels.

Last edited: