Do I Need A Duplexer (“Splitter”)

WRVK753

I’m about to set up a dual-band (FTM-500DR) transceiver on a new Comet GP3 dual-band vertical antenna. A very simple setup. When I read the Comet instructions, it mentions something like “Please enjoy using highest quality dual bander, together with Comet Duplexer, Model CF-416, or CF-4160.”

I was surprised at this. Do I really need a duplexer for this installation? What do you think this is about? Are they just trying to sell their “duplexers” (little splitters)?

Thanks!
Mike
KX4YZ
Auburn, Alabama

Attachments

• 527EBE06-DB24-44BB-A9F0-F21E5D8DA1BC.jpeg
    527EBE06-DB24-44BB-A9F0-F21E5D8DA1BC.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You have a dual-band radio with an "internal diplexer" so that it has a single RF connection. IOW, the 2m band and the 70cm band are combined inside the radio to one RF port. You have a dual-band antenna that internally combines 2m and 70cm signals and has just one RF port. Therefore, you do not need a duplexer (diplexer).

When 2m/70cm dual-band radios first came onto the amateur radio market, it was common for the radios to have two RF ports. Later, the ports were combined and radio manufacturers used to advertise that their radios had an internal duplexer (diplexer). Those days are behind us. That GP-3 manual was probably written 25 years ago. When was the last time you saw an operators manual composed on a typewriter?

mrweather

To be fair, there have been a few times when I wished my modern dual-band radio had separate V and U connectors. Like if I wanted a crossband link using a vertical on 2m and a yagi on 70cm pointed at a distant receiver.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
To be fair, there have been a few times when I wished my modern dual-band radio had separate V and U connectors. Like if I wanted a crossband link using a vertical on 2m and a yagi on 70cm pointed at a distant receiver.
That's where a diplexer comes in handy.

mrweather

True, that does work (and I've done it before) but that's another piece of equipment I need.