Do i need a radio license to bye a Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
They do, sort of. Most ham repeaters require a pl tone to bring the repeater up so simply don't program one, or program the wrong one.
Better yet, you can prog the tone in for what you want to receive but enter the opposite offset. If you prog 146.970mhz. then add a + offset and the repeater will not transmit. Pretty much what you suggested I guess.

n9zas

I wouldn't recommend his approach. It would still tx in the ham bands, on to what could be an active frequency. I concur with the other poster's suggestion to split offset to outside the ham bands so it won't tx.

As for the OP's interest in the radio for GPS, you can probably turn off beaconing on the radio (???) and just monitor aprs traffic.

jhooten

30 steak knives, nobody needs 30 steak knives. What are you some kind of terrorist or something?

On a more serious note: Yaesu amateur radios just plain suck a scanners. The scan rate is way too slow, they use a noise squelch not an rf squelch which believes some types of noise are actually valid signals and lets them pass keeping the channel tied up on noise, you have to go to a menu to lock out a channel and then go back to the menu to turn it back on. I could go on and on. I have an older analog scanner in the radio room that has nothing but ham stuff in it to monitor for activity and leave the Yaesu's scan function off.

K9WG

jhooten

I don't know what Yaesu you have, but I used my FT2600M as a scanner (as well as a transceiver) for many years until the county went digital. Never had a problem with scan speed or squealch.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
30 steak knives, nobody needs 30 steak knives. What are you some kind of terrorist or something?

On a more serious note: Yaesu amateur radios just plain suck a scanners. The scan rate is way too slow, they use a noise squelch not an rf squelch which believes some types of noise are actually valid signals and lets them pass keeping the channel tied up on noise, you have to go to a menu to lock out a channel and then go back to the menu to turn it back on. I could go on and on. I have an older analog scanner in the radio room that has nothing but ham stuff in it to monitor for activity and leave the Yaesu's scan function off.

Maybe on older generation yaesu radios, but not on new ones like the vx6 r. mine is pretty quick! :) and if not fast enough you can always use duplicate entries for high pri stuff.

n9zas

jhooten

VX-1
VX-2
VX-3
VX-7
FT-817
FT-857 x2
Lost 2 FT-8900s if the fire and have not replaced them yet.
And I think I'm missing on or two.

Don't like Yaesu radios that much as you can tell. I did have to break down and buy a Kenwood TS-2000 to replace the FT-847 since they are not made any longer and nobody wanted to part withe theirs.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
I am sorry you didn't understand my reply to the OP.

Other users seemed to understand it just fine.

However, this reply you made here shows us all about the type of person we are dealing with...(insert pause here).....moving on.

It was 100% pure sarcasm, and I didn't think it would whoosh over anyone. Did you read post #4 above in this thread?

BayArea777

Well i picked one up this weekend and iam still setting it up.I was cautioned about the ptt button and was given some class info about obtaining a license as they are a one day class and test given by hamcrams.com.Alot of features on this little radio to figure out but i find it easy so far to program than a uniden 396 i once owned.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Well i picked one up this weekend and iam still setting it up.I was cautioned about the ptt button and was given some class info about obtaining a license as they are a one day class and test given by hamcrams.com.Alot of features on this little radio to figure out but i find it easy so far to program than a uniden 396 i once owned.

Sorry I got off subject. I suspect, accidently hitting the PTT button would be more uncommon than a flying can of corn hitting your big screen TV. Have fun with your new radio.

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
Next time I will sugar coat my reply with happiness, sunbeams, cute puppy dogs, stars, glitter and rainbows for you.

No Unicorns? :wink:

Anyway...... looks like the question was answered. Many answers have many interpretations by many different people. If it sounds condescending to you it may or may not be. I find most stuff here helpful. Bottom line, the license lets you transmit, but otherwise you can buy and listen to all the ham gear you want. There are many people that would walk you through transmit-proofing any frequencies that the radio will transmit on. I do agree though that for scanning, many ham radios are much slower than an real scanner, but that probably is due to the extensive functionality compared to a receiver. At least partly. If the Yaesu is what you want, go for it, just keep the warnings we've stated in mind and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.