Do i need a radio license to bye a Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayArea777

I want to purchase a Yaesu VX-8GR transceiver for the scanner capabilities and gps features,since it can transmit do i need a license to buy one and use in the SF Bay Area.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
No, you do not need a license to buy a ham radio

No, you do not need a license to receive only on a ham radio

Yes, you need a license to transmit with a ham radio

If you are planning on passing you ham radio test at some point...cool. Buy one.

If you have no plans to pass your ham test, why not just get a scanner ? I am not sure why you would want GPS if you cant use the radio's APRS capabilities. It's not a Tom Tom.

It's only asking for trouble to have the thing around with the ability to transmit on frequencies your not authorized to use. Even if your intentions are good, it can always land in the wrong hands.

rwier

If you are planning on passing you ham radio test at some point...cool. Buy one.

If you have no plans to pass your ham test, why not just get a scanner ? I am not sure why you would want GPS if you cant use the radio's APRS capabilities. It's not a Tom Tom.

It's only asking for trouble to have the thing around with the ability to transmit on frequencies your not authorized to use. Even if your intentions are good, it can always land in the wrong hands.

I have never owned a radio (except walkie-talkie, grs, whatever) that I could transmit on. However, the logic of the above explanation defies disagreement. Heck, even I can understand it!

RadioDaze

I second the motion. Just because the Yaesu can scan, it's still mediocre compared to a scanner that has the trunking capability required to hear the most interesting things in the Bay Area.

emcomm

The guy didn't ask any of the questions you just assumed he needed to know. He asked one simple question "do i need a license to buy one?"

Also, why on earth would you write he is "asking for trouble" ? What does that mean? I have 30 steak knifes at home, if they get stolen, am I "asking for trouble" if someone stabs people with them? Should I not have them? What about the cans of peas and corn at home, am I "asking for trouble" for owning them--what if someone steals them and throws them at the elderly, police cars or soccer moms?

How come everyone wants has a need to bully everyone with their "knowledge?" Humbleness is a trait which has disappeared.

rwier

The guy didn't ask any of the questions you just assumed he needed to know. He asked one simple question "do i need a license to buy one?"

Also, why on earth would you write he is "asking for trouble" ? What does that mean? I have 30 steak knifes at home, if they get stolen, am I "asking for trouble" if someone stabs people with them? Should I not have them? What about the cans of peas and corn at home, am I "asking for trouble" for owning them--what if someone steals them and throws them at the elderly, police cars or soccer moms?

How come everyone wants has a need to bully everyone with their "knowledge?" Humbleness is a trait which has disappeared.

Thanks, emcomm, lots of info here, unlike the post of N3IVK, lolololol!!!!! In fact, we all thank you!

BayArea777

Thanks for the info guys,my apologies for the misspelling of the word Buy in the thread title.I already own a psr-800 and a Uniden home patrol, i just wanted something smaller than those radios to listen in on a few non digital non trunked channels. and thought the Yaesu would fit the bill as its a pocket size radio, as the mini unidens and radioshack scanners i have looked at don't appeal to me.I just wasn't sure about the policy regarding ownership of a transreceiver.

Confuzzled

Well, accidental open mikes aren't uncommon, so having a transmitter without a license could result in trouble that way.

Accidentally flying cans of corn are a lot more uncommon.

ScannaMan9

No, if you're at someone else's station- but they are responsible for ensuring proper operation.
if you are worried about someone operating on it- id recommend removing a mic. or making it so it wont transmit.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well, accidental open mikes aren't uncommon, so having a transmitter without a license could result in trouble that way.

Accidentally flying cans of corn are a lot more uncommon.

It depends on whose house you're at...;)

n9zas

RadioDaze

The guy didn't ask any of the questions you just assumed he needed to know.

The guy did say "I want to purchase a Yaesu VX-8GR transceiver for the scanner capabilities..."

That does pretty much invite advice. Seems like a lot of trouble to sign up to a forum just to receive a one-word answer. If there was evidence that the OP had more experience in the matter, maybe unsolicited advice would be uncalled for. But why should anyone pass up an opportunity to point a newcomer in the right direction?

To BayArea777: Welcome to the forum, and we will help you if we are able, and if you want us to.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
What about the cans of peas and corn at home, am I "asking for trouble" for owning them--what if someone steals them and throws them at the elderly, police cars or soccer moms?

Soooo, you know it all.

I bet next time you'll chew that corn a little better when you feel what seems like a tall boy beer can coming out sideways. I'm gonna call you, The Phantom, cuz you never did fess up it was you who left the corn in there. I have also seen your trail in the woods and/or the passenger side of your car.

You knew your honeymoon was over when.... never mind.

Nope, as others have mentioned a license is not required to own a radio that transmits.

A lot of railfans buy ham gear for the better receivers and more rugged build quality. So if one only wants to listen to conventional FM stuff, and doesn't mind the slower scanning speed, a ham HT or mobile will work very well.

As for the worries of transmitting by accident. That's easy enough to avoid. It won't transmit outside of the 2m and 70cm bands. Of course if one wants to monitor ham repeaters or simplex, that's where you have to be more careful. One way to avoid transmitting is to setup a repeater offset outside of the range the radio will transmit in.

I've had to do this with 420 Mhz public safety freqs here in S.E. Michigan. Some of the radios I have will transmit from 420 to 450 Mhz. So with those freqs it's as simple as using the repeater offset to put the input freq out of band. Problem solved.

It's just too bad most ham gear doesn't allow you to program memories as receive only.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nope, as others have mentioned a license is not required to own a radio that transmits.

A lot of railfans buy ham gear for the better receivers and more rugged build quality. So if one only wants to listen to conventional FM stuff, and doesn't mind the slower scanning speed, a ham HT or mobile will work very well.

As for the worries of transmitting by accident. That's easy enough to avoid. It won't transmit outside of the 2m and 70cm bands. Of course if one wants to monitor ham repeaters or simplex, that's where you have to be more careful. One way to avoid transmitting is to setup a repeater offset outside of the range the radio will transmit in.

I've had to do this with 420 Mhz public safety freqs here in S.E. Michigan. Some of the radios I have will transmit from 420 to 450 Mhz. So with those freqs it's as simple as using the repeater offset to put the input freq out of band. Problem solved.

It's just too bad most ham gear doesn't allow you to program memories as receive only.

They do, sort of. Most ham repeaters require a pl tone to bring the repeater up so simply don't program one, or program the wrong one.
Better yet, you can prog the tone in for what you want to receive but enter the opposite offset. If you prog 146.970mhz. then add a + offset and the repeater will not transmit. Pretty much what you suggested I guess.

n9zas

Last edited:

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber

I am not sure how to respond to your reply.

You blast me for supposedly being a bully, yet you fly off then handle about corn and elderly people. Nice.

He asked a question, I typed a reply. That is all it was. Direct answers with no hidden agenda.

Next time I will sugar coat my reply with happiness, sunbeams, cute puppy dogs, stars, glitter and rainbows for you.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, emcomm, lots of info here, unlike the post of N3IVK, lolololol!!!!! In fact, we all thank you!

I am sorry you didn't understand my reply to the OP.

Other users seemed to understand it just fine.

However, this reply you made here shows us all about the type of person we are dealing with...(insert pause here).....moving on.

JoeyC

A lot of people on RR don't appreciate a direct response. You get in trouble for speaking facts around here at times it seems. sigh....

Status
Not open for further replies.