Do I need digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixon

I'm getting my son a new handheld scanner for his birthday (December 24) and Christmas. Since he's only getting the one gift; I want it to be nice. He wants to listen to taxis and drive thru windows for whatever strange reason. Kids lol! He's not even remotely interested in what Metro or the fire department is doing. So...does he need a digital trunking type scanner or will analog do? Will he be able to listen to the dispatchers and cashiers with analog or should I shove out the $500 for a digital? Any suggestions on brands or accessories that he'll need? I have no idea about how these work, I just know that I don't want end up sending it back. Thanks for reading.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
No Digital Needed

I'm getting my son a new handheld scanner for his birthday (December 24) and Christmas. Since he's only getting the one gift; I want it to be nice. He wants to listen to taxis and drive thru windows for whatever strange reason. Kids lol! He's not even remotely interested in what Metro or the fire department is doing. So...does he need a digital trunking type scanner or will analog do? Will he be able to listen to the dispatchers and cashiers with analog or should I shove out the $500 for a digital? Any suggestions on brands or accessories that he'll need? I have no idea about how these work, I just know that I don't want end up sending it back. Thanks for reading.

No Digital needed in this requirement, Go find a handheld around $100.00 at AES Las Vegas AES Home page
They have both Uniden and GRE and if you want they can program it to what you want.
Then go buy your son more gifts with the $400.00 you will save. (Jeans,Sneakers,Ipod.)

Have a Merry Christmas!!

jleverin

I agree, no need for an expensive scanner for that stuff. The old analog scanners that are dirt cheap will work fine for that. That's about all I can pick up anymore with my older scanners! The police/fire/ EMS and public works have all pretty much jumped over to digital and that's what takes the $500 scanners to access. In fact if you want email me a jleverin@comcast.net, I have a Pro 82 analog scanner I bought new with box and papers and accessories I'll let go real cheap. Works fine but is no use to me ,I already have a Pro97(that doesn't pick up much anymore either) and my digital Pro 96 I use now. Beside if I want analog, I have several ham radios that will pick up most of those transmissions anyway. Let me know if you haven't gotten a radio for him yet or want it.

Dixon

Bearcat or RS

So, would a BC246T be suitable? How about an RS Pro-164? Which one would you choose? Any model suggestions would be useful. The two I listed are available in stores, but, I wouldn't mind ordering a different one online. Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.