Do I need DMR, NXDN, ProVoice

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
Do I need and or can I even pick up DMR, NXDN, ProVoice in my area Bel Air Md 21014
You do not need ProVoice as it is an obsolete technology, and is not used by any systems that are receivable from Bel Air. Public Safety in your area is almost exclusively P25. There are probably commercial operations that use DMR and NXDN. If that interests you, then make sure whatever receiver you choose is equipped / optioned with that technology.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @DWB66 and welcome to Radio Reference!

Another factor needed to answer your question accurately is to know your receiving station setup. There is a huge difference in how far out you can hear systems depending on your setup. If it is a handheld scanner sitting on the desk, the reception area is relatively small. If it is a mobile/base scanner with an external antenna system on a 50 foot tower, the reception area might be quite large. The larger the footprint, the more systems you can hear.

Here is a link to the Maryland database:

Cheers! Dave K4EET

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
You're probably going to want Harford County for the Bel Air area:

Hi @DWB66 and welcome to Radio Reference!

Another factor needed to answer your question accurately is to know your receiving station setup. There is a huge difference in how far out you can hear systems depending on your setup. If it is a handheld scanner sitting on the desk, the reception area is relatively small. If it is a mobile/base scanner with an external antenna system on a 50 foot tower, the reception area might be quite large. The larger the footprint, the more systems you can hear.

Here is a link to the Maryland database:

Cheers! Dave K4EET

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do I need and or can I even pick up DMR, NXDN, ProVoice in my area Bel Air Md 21014
Harford and the surrounding counties and Maryland State use P25 systems. For public safety, none of the upgrades are required. What model scanner and what programming software, if any, are you using. I can provide you with programming files to get you going. Harford and the other counties use simulcast systems. I highly recommend using the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile scanners for those systems. You may suffer from simulcast distortion depending upon your location using other scanners. If you want to listen to businesses, the DMR and NXDN upgrades may be required. There is a lot more DMR than NXDN.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
Do I need and or can I even pick up DMR, NXDN, ProVoice for stark county, ohio for bearcat bcd996p2?

Ask here:

Look here:

It depends on what you want to monitor, but I see very little DMR and no NXDN or Provoice.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Take a look at https://digitalfrequencysearch.com/..... Lets you search for DMR and NXDN frequencies using county/state. Would give you an idea of what's around at least.
This is simply an aggregator of licensees with DMR and NXDN emissions. Just because the emissions are listed in the license does not guarantee their use. Yes it is likely though not 100%

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Take a pass on these options when purchasing if you aren't sure you need them. If you find you need them just pay the unlocking fee.