do i need sds100 upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitlyn4589

i live in tucson arizona. i want to monitor pima county tucson and phoenix az. how do i determine if i need to buy the software upgrades such as dmr and provoice?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
What system(s) are you listening too? If P25 Conv or P25 Trunking your good to go. Most users buy the NXDN & DMR and skip ProVoice sine ProVoice is phasing out. Looks like Public Safety is on the P25 Trunking.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
@bravo14 how do i determine what firmware my sds100 is on so i can figure out if i need to update it
The SDS100 owner’s manual shows checking your firmware version from the scanner's menu system by choosing.... Menu ---> Settings ---> See Scanner Information ---> Firmware Version.

The Sentinel software will check your scanner and determine if there are updates available for both the firmware and database in your scanner. Easy to follow and step by step instructions for updating both using Sentinel are also available in your owner’s manual. (Database updates are usually available every Monday.)

Check the bottom of page 10 for full instructions on having Sentinel update your firmware, and the top of page 11 for updating the database. There’s only a few steps, but be sure to read and follow them carefully.

tvengr

Well Known Member
how do i determine what firmware my sds100 is on so i can figure out if i need to update it
Lower half of the button on left side of scanner is MENU. MENU > Settings > E > See Scanner Information > E >Firmware Version > E. Press AVOID to exit Menus. To update Firmware, go to the Update tab in Sentinel and Update Firmware. Here is the link to download Sentinel, free programming software provided by Uniden: BCDx36HPSentinel < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
i live in tucson arizona. i want to monitor pima county tucson and phoenix az. how do i determine if i need to buy the software upgrades such as dmr and provoice?

There aren't any Provoice systems in the Phx or Tucson area that I am aware of (possibly not any in AZ). No need for DMR either if you are just wanting to monitor PCWINS (Tucson), PRWC (Phx), MCSO, Topaz (Mesa), & AZWINS (Az DPS).

KB7MIB

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it shows all of the trunked radio systems in Pima County. Theres a handful of NXDN and many DMR systems. Click on each one, and look at all of the users to determine if there's any users that you might want to be able to listen to in the near future. If so, upgrade your scanner. If not, it can be done at virtually any time in the future if you ever change your mind.

ProVoice is not used in Arizona, and is supposed to be in the proces of being phased out across the country, so it's unlikely that you'll need it.

John
Peoria

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of DMR users in Arizona, including government agencies. If you want to listen to more than the common emergency public safety stuff, I would get the DMR mod. first.

NXDN would be a distant second place, the NXDN users tend to be businesses.

I would not buy EDACS/ProVoice for use in AZ. It is a system that has reached EoL and is being replaced by the end users.

kaitlyn4589

There are a lot of DMR users in Arizona, including government agencies. If you want to listen to more than the common emergency public safety stuff, I would get the DMR mod. first.

NXDN would be a distant second place, the NXDN users tend to be businesses.

I would not buy EDACS/ProVoice for use in AZ. It is a system that has reached EoL and is being replaced by the end users.

awesome thanks my friend

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
nxdn trains are using that in some areas now. and dmr is used more. I'm not in AZ currently but those are the two I see most after p25

Alec
N1AJW

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
For DMR and NXDN, the Radio reference db almost certainly will not be comprehensive or up to date; if you have an analog scanner, put it in custom search mode for 150-163ish and 450-469, and see how many "motorboat" sounds you hear. You can actually check a signal wiki page to see what raw DMR, Idas and Nexedge signals sound like.

Also if you live near a metro area, DMR and NXDN systems, tiny and large, may be frequently coming online. And at least where I live, apparently unlicensed frequencies seem pretty popular to use. So never assume it's not being used just because it's not in ULS.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
That link is from 2017 and the market saturation is declining quickly. Albuquerque, NM is actively switching over to P-25, as are other public safety agencies. I understand that Uniden had developed a reception protocol for scanner users, but that was to market the option to scanner users, not to market and promote the EDACS system.

Harris, the current owner of the ProVoice system declared it obsolete in 2017 and informed EDACS users to switch to P-25, as they would no longer support it from then on. Harris stopped selling any EDACS gear [other than repair parts] in December 2011 in a public announcement.

EDACS is effectively dead. Not even the amateur community has a significant interest in it.

scanfreqer

Scanfreqer
Premium Subscriber
I have a SDS 100 with the DMR and NDXN upgrades. I live in Barrie, Ont, Can, and get more channels with the upgrades that I wouldn't get at all. I think it is well worth it so your scanner is running the made it was designed to and receive as many frequencies that are available in your area or when you travel.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
That link is from 2017 and the market saturation is declining quickly. Albuquerque, NM is actively switching over to P-25, as are other public safety agencies. I understand that Uniden had developed a reception protocol for scanner users, but that was to market the option to scanner users, not to market and promote the EDACS system.

Harris, the current owner of the ProVoice system declared it obsolete in 2017 and informed EDACS users to switch to P-25, as they would no longer support it from then on. Harris stopped selling any EDACS gear [other than repair parts] in December 2011 in a public announcement.

EDACS is effectively dead. Not even the amateur community has a significant interest in it.
Yep. City & County of Denver (my old employer) started switching from EDACS to P25 shortly after I retired in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.