• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do i need to upgrade my Pro-95 scanner? Am i missing communications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbcomp

I'm very new to the world of scanners. I live in Hurst, TX. According to the [Database] section of this website Hurst, Texas uses 'FM' modulation for all of their Police, Fire, EMT communication.

But i'm not sure. I've heard they are also using a Trunked system with Tarrant County/Fort Worth.

Since my Pro-95 is several years old and doesn't get APCO-25 signals am i missing out on reception/chatter for my local area?

I guess what i'm asking is can someone here who is more knowledgable than me look at my area (Hurst, Euless, Bedford, TEXAS) and let me know if i were to upgrade to a new scanner that had APCO-25 technoology in it, would i benefit.

Thanks and sorry for the noob question.

Michael

rmiller818

If the database is correct (thinking it is in this case) you are correct, they are just conventional stuff which your scanner should handle fine. If you wanted to listen to the county stuff that is no problem either as it is all analog and the system has not rebanded (yet).

So unless something has changed recently and the database has not been updated yet, you should be fine monitoring your area with your Pro-95.

N8IAA

With the exception of White Settlement, you are good to go with the 95. You may need to upgrade soon because rebanding will come. You might want to post in the Texas forum for additional info.
Larry

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm very new to the world of scanners. I live in Hurst, TX. According to the [Database] section of this website Hurst, Texas uses 'FM' modulation for all of their Police, Fire, EMT communication.

But i'm not sure. I've heard they are also using a Trunked system with Tarrant County/Fort Worth.

Since my Pro-95 is several years old and doesn't get APCO-25 signals am i missing out on reception/chatter for my local area?

I guess what i'm asking is can someone here who is more knowledgable than me look at my area (Hurst, Euless, Bedford, TEXAS) and let me know if i were to upgrade to a new scanner that had APCO-25 technoology in it, would i benefit.

Thanks and sorry for the noob question.

Michael
Michael,
While you are "ok" for the minute, there are several changes on the not too distant horizon that may make you want to consider an upgrade.

First, check out this thread in the Texas forum. This 700mhz "overlay" system is still in it's infancy, but there's been at least some indication that it could be operation by the Super Bowl in 2011. At least one site is up and testing now.

Also, see this comment about the possibility of the Arlington & the NE Tarrant systems building a new system together, assuming funds can be obtained. That new system would undoubtedly be digital. (NE Tarrant includes Euless & Bedford, among others.) And, if that new system comes about, there's always a chance Hurst could decide to jump on board as well.

And, occasionally, you'll see comments here, or over on the DFWScan Yahoo group about Ft. Worth considering a new 700mhz system. That of course, would depend in part on how much grant money was available.

Don't forget that besides White Settlement, Grand Prairie & Mansfield are digital, as is TX DPS. And, checking the notes on Plano's system page, they intend to convert it to digital during the rebanding process. Prosper has just put up a new P25 system, and Frisco is building theirs. (I know some of these are out of your area, just illustrating what may be a trend.)

It may not be urgent you convert immediately, but it could be time to start weighing your options on what you might want to buy when you do make that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.