do I REALLY need trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpl1228

If I'm just starting out, do I really need trunking? if so, WHY?
Give me good reasons, I'm a rookie. Thanks.....
KL

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
If there are any agencies/business on a trunked system in your area that you wish to listen to, then you'll need a trunking scanner. It's up to you.

sjlamb

If you tell us your county, and major city nearby, we should be able to give you an answer.

The vast majority of public service comms in your area take place on Conventional (non-trunked) frequencies. Subsequently, you could monitor those agencies on most any analog non-trunking scanner. On the other hand, should agencies in your County eventually make the switch to trunked scanner (as most have been doing), a basic analog scanner will leave you in the dark.

In addition, State of Ohio agencies (including Ohio State Police) operate on a trunked 800 mHz system and that, of course, would require a DIGITAL capable trunking scanner to monitor.

The short answer is, it appears that you can get by on the cheap at this time but, that could ultimately turnaround and bite you in the rear end should most agencies in your area make the popular switch to trunked communications.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The vast majority of public service comms in your area take place on Conventional (non-trunked) frequencies. Subsequently, you could monitor those agencies on most any analog non-trunking scanner. On the other hand, should agencies in your County eventually make the switch to trunked scanner (as most have been doing), a basic analog scanner will leave you in the dark.

In addition, State of Ohio agencies (including Ohio State Police) operate on a trunked 800 mHz system and that, of course, would require a DIGITAL capable trunking scanner to monitor.

The short answer is, it appears that you can get by on the cheap at this time but, that could ultimately turnaround and bite you in the rear end should most agencies in your area make the popular switch to trunked communications.
Ohio doesn't have a state police. They have troopers which are traffic cops.

kpl1228

Thanks all....I bought a used Radio Shack Pro-135 today. Nice and loud and good reception. Enjoying it. What do I miss by not having the 800mhz frequencies...are those just for trunking?

JoeyC

Thanks all....I bought a used Radio Shack Pro-135 today. Nice and loud and good reception. Enjoying it. What do I miss by not having the 800mhz frequencies...are those just for trunking?

Did you not read the thread you started? You will not get the MARCS system or any OSP.

mciupa

You will miss listening to the State Highway Patrol and Mutual Aid .

But you say you are enjoying it nevertheless, so have fun with the signal stalker and see what it will pick up.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.