• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Do lie detector tests really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
After reading this you have to wonder why they continue to use them at all. Intimidation?

This foot note is pretty interesting:

According to Paul Marks writing in the 7 January 2006 New Scientist, the US Department of Defense plans to develop a lie detector that can be used without the subject knowing they are being assessed.

Even more intrusion on our Constitutional Rights! :evil:


Do lie detector tests really work?
http://www.theregister.com/2006/06/16/the_odd_body_polygraph/
 

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
N_Jay said:
Hu???:confused: :roll:
Yes, as in having the ability to run a lie detector test on a subject without his knowledge, or consent...and most likely without a warrant.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
MacombMonitor said:
Yes, as in having the ability to run a lie detector test on a subject without his knowledge, or consent...and most likely without a warrant.
And I guess it would not be admissible in court, so where is the rights issue?
 

UPMan

Uniden Representative
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
13,287
Location
Arlington, TX
For a great book premised on the "Perfect Lie Detector" and what it would do to society as we know it, I highly recommend "The Truth Machine" by James Halperin. (Now available as Free Download)
 
Last edited:

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
N_Jay said:
And I guess it would not be admissible in court, so where is the rights issue?
The "rights" issue is that they should not be allowed to monitor you in such a way, without your knowledge, consent, or a court order. If it's admissible, or not has nothing to do with the invasion of your right to privacy.

I have to question your motive in some of your responses. You seem to be an intelligent person overall. However, I'm disturbed by your willingness to allow others to do what ever they please, even if it invades your personal life. I have a feeling if such a thing ever really happened to you, your response would be quite different.

Watch Court TV, where they review actual criminal cases handled by local law enforcement, State Police, FBI, DEA, Forensics, and others. When ever someone fails a lie detector test, a lot of assumptions are immediately made, and the investigation often gets hell-bent on hanging that individual with any means possible. Sometimes this human reaction distracts them from pursuing other suspects, and not pursuing other evidence as throughly as they should. This has been documented, even by their own admission. They've even had people in prison, that failed a lie detector test during the original investigation, that were later proven to be totally innocent.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
MacombMonitor said:
The "rights" issue is that they should not be allowed to monitor you in such a way, without your knowledge, consent, or a court order. If it's admissible, or not has nothing to do with the invasion of your right to privacy.

I have to question your motive in some of your responses. You seem to be an intelligent person overall. However, I'm disturbed by your willingness to allow others to do what ever they please, even if it invades your personal life. I have a feeling if such a thing ever really happened to you, your response would be quite different.

Watch Court TV, where they review actual criminal cases handled by local law enforcement, State Police, FBI, DEA, Forensics, and others. When ever someone fails a lie detector test, a lot of assumptions are immediately made, and the investigation often gets hell-bent on hanging that individual with any means possible. Sometimes this human reaction distracts them from pursuing other suspects, and not pursuing other evidence as throughly as they should. This has been documented, even by their own admission. They've even had people in prison, that failed a lie detector test during the original investigation, that were later proven to be totally innocent.
I guess you should not lie if being questioned by the police. (hmm, seems obvious to me)

If you are worried about using this at a distance, then how do they know what you are lying about?

Just remember, when you are in public, you are "In Public"!

(you do seem to spend a lot of time worrying about what "They" are doing?
 

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
N_Jay said:
I guess you should not lie if being questioned by the police. (hmm, seems obvious to me)

If you are worried about using this at a distance, then how do they know what you are lying about?

Just remember, when you are in public, you are "In Public"!

(you do seem to spend a lot of time worrying about what "They" are doing?
I have nothing to hide, and I'm not doing anything illegal. I'm concerned about where our country is headed, and the kind of world our children are going to have to live in.

If you're really not concerned about the protection of our privacy as U.S. citizens, why don't you post some personal information about yourself in this thread.

Your real name, home & work addresses, and phone numbers, other mail aliases, religious beliefs, criminal background, names of schools attended, etc.

Even you like to remain anonymous as "N_Jay", why is that?
 

Bill2k

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
279
Location
New Hampshire
MacombMonitor said:
I have nothing to hide, and I'm not doing anything illegal. I'm concerned about where our country is headed, and the kind of world our children are going to have to live in.

If you're really not concerned about the protection of our privacy as U.S. citizens, why don't you post some personal information about yourself in this thread.

Your real name, home & work addresses, and phone numbers, other mail aliases, religious beliefs, criminal background, names of schools attended, etc.

Even you like to remain anonymous as "N_Jay", why is that?
I don't post my personal information on the internet because I don't want people stealing my identity.

I really don't have a problem with the lie detector.... If it really is fool proof it could make life a lot easier for the justice system to prosecute the right people.... and exonerate the innocent.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
MacombMonitor said:
. . . . I'm concerned about where our country is headed, and the kind of world our children are going to have to live in. . . . .
I guess the difference is that I already assume we are already in that world.

Do you think technology like this would not be developed if the government did not want it?
Do you think it would be any less intrusive in non-governmental hands?
 

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
N_Jay said:
I guess the difference is that I already assume we are already in that world.

Do you think technology like this would not be developed if the government did not want it?
Do you think it would be any less intrusive in non-governmental hands?
No, it would still be developed, because it is often developed before the government even knows about it, then decides they want it.

No, it would not be any less intrusive in non-governmental hands. Maybe even more intrusive.

That being said, what is the point you're trying to make?
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
MacombMonitor said:
No, it would still be developed, because it is often developed before the government even knows about it, then decides they want it.

No, it would not be any less intrusive in non-governmental hands. Maybe even more intrusive.

That being said, what is the point you're trying to make?
You seem to have a strong aversion to all the potential "intrusions on our privacy" by the government.

I am pointing out my lack of concern over government intrusion, since I already assume if it is easy and profitable, someone will be doing it, government or not.
 

bobmich52

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
502
Just another way That GWB Will use to Cloak Hiz ASININE Thinking Az To National Security.

Just Think.

That Dumb SOB Iz Gonna Know What You Have On The Pizza You Ordered.

Bacon & Pepperoni With Xtra Cheeze Iz National Security To Me!

Spend The $$$$ On Keeping The Illegals Out & Not Listening To The Bleeding Heart Liberal Namby Pamby Types That Sez That ILLEGALS/CRIMINALS Should Be Given Rights That They HAVE NOT EARNED LEGALLY!!!!

This Country Is Going To HELL When The Criminals/Illegals Have More Rights Than Us Law Abiding Citizens

GWB SUCKS, He Iz Just Pandering To The Left For This Election Cycle, In Order To Benifit his Party.

He Is TRULY A LAME DUCK!
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
bobmich52 said:
Just another way That GWB Will use to Cloak Hiz ASININE Thinking Az To National Security.

Just Think.

That Dumb SOB Iz Gonna Know What You Have On The Pizza You Ordered.

Bacon & Pepperoni With Xtra Cheeze Iz National Security To Me!

Spend The $$$$ On Keeping The Illegals Out & Not Listening To The Bleeding Heart Liberal Namby Pamby Types That Sez That ILLEGALS/CRIMINALS Should Be Given Rights That They HAVE NOT EARNED LEGALLY!!!!

This Country Is Going To HELL When The Criminals/Illegals Have More Rights Than Us Law Abiding Citizens

GWB SUCKS, He Iz Just Pandering To The Left For This Election Cycle, In Order To Benifit his Party.

He Is TRULY A LAME DUCK!
LOL, its not often GWB gets accused of "Pandering to the Left"!:roll: :confused: :lol:
 

bobmich52

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
502
Well,

When You are advocating "Workers Visas/AMNESTY" For "ILLEGALS"

You are Pandering To The Left!!!!

If It wuz You Or me Breaking The Law,Where Due You think we Would Land??

When It Is ILLEGALS Advocating For Amnesty Etc, & You Voice Your Opinion Aganst Such CRAP, You are called closed Minded, Not To Mention Other Things,& They Get All The Breaks, How about The Law Abiding Few????

The Law Abiding Few?

We Iz Da One's Who Git SCREWED!!!!
 

NightFox

Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Messages
112
Location
Lafayette, Indiana
bobmich52 said:
Well,

When You are advocating "Workers Visas/AMNESTY" For "ILLEGALS"

You are Pandering To The Left!!!!

If It wuz You Or me Breaking The Law,Where Due You think we Would Land??

When It Is ILLEGALS Advocating For Amnesty Etc, & You Voice Your Opinion Aganst Such CRAP, You are called closed Minded, Not To Mention Other Things,& They Get All The Breaks, How about The Law Abiding Few????

The Law Abiding Few?

We Iz Da One's Who Git SCREWED!!!!
Offtopic: Could you try to control your shift key a bit and keep off of the substituting a 'Z' for an 'S'? It makes your posts hard to read.... kthxbye
 
Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Guest
bobmich52 said:
Well,

When You are advocating "Workers Visas/AMNESTY" For "ILLEGALS"

You are Pandering To The Left!!!!

If It wuz You Or me Breaking The Law,Where Due You think we Would Land??

When It Is ILLEGALS Advocating For Amnesty Etc, & You Voice Your Opinion Aganst Such CRAP, You are called closed Minded, Not To Mention Other Things,& They Get All The Breaks, How about The Law Abiding Few????

The Law Abiding Few?

We Iz Da One's Who Git SCREWED!!!!
Maybe itys just me, but he seems to have been consistant on this point of view for quite a while, no matter what the opposition from EITHER side has said.

Hmmm, could it possibly be that he believes it is the best middle ground in a controversial issue?:confused:

Naaaaa! It must be hes so stupid he picked a position that pisses off both sides!:roll:

(I love how people are able to see what they want in everything)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top