• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Do Model numbers mean anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoodson

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps a foolish question, perhaps beaten to death before... so pardon me if that's the case.

Do the model numbers of Uniden scanners have any particular meaning or logic?

I guess my inclination would be that higher model numbers are "newer", but then the 396 is a lot newer than some models with higher numbers, and then I think the 780 is more sophisticated than the old 895 etc etc. so if there's a pattern, I don't get it.

LarrySC

Maybe the numbers are assigned when they think of a new scanner. Could be it takes longer with one than the other to get it to marker.

jastx

I used to work with equipment from another vendor whose model numbers made no sense either. The joke was that they set the password generator length to five and ran it when they were going to name a new product.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well (so far) all of the ones ending in "96" are P25 digital scanners. The previous digital models could not do the 9600 kbs control channesl of P25 systems so that fits.

Napalm

Also, the 330 is in the same family as the 396, but it isn't digital.

But then look at the BCT996. Its younger brother is the BCT-15. Where's the logic! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.