• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do Staties still have CB's in their cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I know some state patrol still have CB's in their cars... does anyone know any agencies that did use them in the past and have taken them out of service from the patrol cars? Thanks.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Lol, not in illinois but maybe in the southern part of the u.s.

n9zas

KJ6HCB

Commercial CHP units have them in California. Usually a 5' or so white Firestik style fiberglass antenna on a ball mount on a shell on the trucks, or rear fender on the cars.

Commercial-inspect-vehchp1459.jpg

Commercial1.jpg

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Michigan State Police Motor Carrier Enforcement units still have them. Anything beyond that is, typically, the LEO's personal radio.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Michigan State Police Motor Carrier Enforcement units still have them. Anything beyond that is, typically, the LEO's personal radio.

There were a few local police departments that used CB radios as their talk-around chit-chat radios. This was commonplace here in Southeast Lower Michigan well into the late 1990s. Some would even use frequencies above Ch-40. So much for not breaking the FCC rules.

73's

Ron

WQFM513

North east Osp doesn't listen to their cbs. South east Wsp doesn't listen either. Several different occasions in both states I have tried to get their attention on the cb about drunks, accidents, ect, didn't work. I know my radio is getting out, I use it nightly on my route, rag chew with several base and mobiles. A lot of washington dot snow plows and highway maintance do use their cbs though

gewecke

Banned
North east Osp doesn't listen to their cbs. South east Wsp doesn't listen either. Several different occasions in both states I have tried to get their attention on the cb about drunks, accidents, ect, didn't work. I know my radio is getting out, I use it nightly on my route, rag chew with several base and mobiles. A lot of washington dot snow plows and highway maintance do use their cbs though

Some IDOT plows had cb's for truck to truck comms a few yrs back in northern ill. and if I recall they were on ch.3 but that was then.

n9zas

nonperson

Lol, not in illinois but maybe in the southern part of the u.s.

n9zas

If they do have a CB in the patrol car it's most likely one the individual officer purchased and installed. BTW Billy Yank we don't use them as the primary means of communications. :D You may even be surprised to learn that some of our agencies even have digital radio systems, GPS and MDTs (Mobile Data Terminals) in every patrol vehicle. :)

gewecke

Banned
If they do have a CB in the patrol car it's most likely one the individual officer purchased and installed. BTW Billy Yank we don't use them as the primary means of communications. :D You may even be surprised to learn that some of our agencies even have digital radio systems, GPS and MDTs (Mobile Data Terminals) in every patrol vehicle. :)

Billy yank??? You really didn't call me that did you? Careful there nonperson....;)
I'm well aware of your state's resources.

n9zas

Some Alabama State Tropers have them. On this pic I took a few years ago you can see what looks to be a Wilson 500 mag mount in the center of the trunk. It's not as small as a "Lil Wil" but not as big as a 1000. The gold writing and shape of the base give it away as a Wilson.

I've seen a few others over the years but don't have pics. Most of the time when I see them they're on units from smaller towns or sheriffs.

Attachments

• img_0010 (2).jpg
    img_0010 (2).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,146

reedeb

Billy yank??? You really didn't call me that did you? Careful there nonperson....;)
I'm well aware of your state's resources.

n9zas

Hey does Sherriff Roscoe and Boss Hogg still use then there CB radidios any more, or did they go to something a bit more strung up [LOL]

lafd55

Some NYSP CVEs have them, but I don't think they are state issued radios, but purchased privately by troopers.
Ford_E-250_New_York_State_Police_-_Commercial_Vehicle_Enforcement.jpg

Nebraska State Patrol still has CB's in the cruisers. I don't know if they are furnished by the state or they are personal radios, or if they are even used at all.

Look above the light bar, there are 2 fiberglass whips mounted the the bar.

Attachments

• nsp-car.jpg
    nsp-car.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4,096

nonperson

Nebraska State Patrol still has CB's in the cruisers. I don't know if they are furnished by the state or they are personal radios, or if they are even used at all.

Look above the light bar, there are 2 fiberglass whips mounted the the bar.

Are you sure those are CB antennas?

ke5fnb

every now and then I see a Louisiana State Police Crown Victoria with a mag-mount CB (or VHF Low Band) antenna. They use 39.5 as their backup statewide net, but very rarely. I have never heard state troopers on CB that I was aware of. BUT I have heard public works for my parish using CB and VHF High band, until they switched to the 700 MHz APCO 25 trunked system. I have a friend in the radio communications business, and he said that the state troopers have a special kind of radio that allows them to listen in on other radio users. That could be the explanation for the long antennas. I have heard of situations years ago that state troopers have used CB to tell truckers to "pull over". I doubt they still do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.