• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do truckers still use CB Radios?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So many variables….

No, it's nothing like the 70's.
Some areas of the country see more activity than others.
Some highways/interstates see more activity than others.
Some drivers rely on it heavily, and some seem like they don't.

But no, not anything like it was back in the past. You will/may occasionally hear some CB traffic, but it's really dependent on location and time of day.

And make sure you are using an actual CB antenna. Most scanner antennas don't work well on those lower frequencies, no matter what the people selling them say.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
From what I've seen every time I've pulled into Love's Truck Stop for something, all the truckers are wearing Bluetooth or wired gaming headsets and talking to somebody non-stop on their phones, no matter where they are, including in the bathroom or ordering food. It really triggers one of my social behavior pet peeves.

MCKFD34

So many variables….

No, it's nothing like the 70's.
Some areas of the country see more activity than others.
Some highways/interstates see more activity than others.
Some drivers rely on it heavily, and some seem like they don't.

But no, not anything like it was back in the past. You will/may occasionally hear some CB traffic, but it's really dependent on location and time of day.

And make sure you are using an actual CB antenna. Most scanner antennas don't work well on those lower frequencies, no matter what the people selling them say.

A CB antenna works on a scanner?

MCKFD34

From what I've seen every time I've pulled into Love's Truck Stop for something, all the truckers are wearing Bluetooth or wired gaming headsets and talking to somebody non-stop on their phones, no matter where they are, including in the bathroom or ordering food. It really triggers one of my social behavior pet peeves.

I always go to the CB radio display case and have a look...so cool.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It's a very large country with truckers being at a premium and revered... they are out there as proud as ever. You probably have less owner operators as opposed to employees of a company as GlobalNorth referred to.

It's basically location, I live in an area that was once a heavy trucker CB area in Pennsylvania where the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the New Jersey Turnpike, Route 1, Route 95, Route 13, and route 195, connected, with multiple truck stops and restaurants. At one time this was the busiest area for CB on Channel 19, lot lizards with handhelds and all in the 70s 80s 90s and Beyond.

That started to slow down in the early 2000s and today Channel 19 resembles Channel 9 in the 80s. We did have one psychotic who would ramble on all day with profanity and playing music and whistling for a number of years ago but he's gone now.

It depends on your location. I still listen to Channel 19 on one of my multiple radios. Once in awhile you will hear a caravan momentarily moving through.

In other parts of the country it is as busy as ever. It really is location-based

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A CB antenna works on a scanner?

Yes, since it should be resonate at 27MHz, it's going to outperform the "one antenna for all" thing that comes with most scanners. As you get lower in frequency, it gets difficult to fake a real antenna on a radio.

If you are using the stock antenna that came with a hand held or base/mobile scanner, that -may- explain why you are not hearing anything. Add an old CB antenna and you may hear something. When I was active was scanners, I never had much luck below the VHF band until I added a dedicated antenna.
Just keep in mind, that a CB antenna will work great with your scanner for CB, it's probably going to start being a pretty poor antenna as you get up into the UHF, 700 and 800MHz ranges.

And while many scanner antennas will have claims of "25 to 1300MHz", the truth is, they don't work well out on the fringes like that. True, a paperclip can act as a pretty good antenna if the signal is strong enough. But keep in mind that most CB'ers are using a <4 watt radio into a really crappy antenna, and are lucky if they get a few miles range.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Not much but some trucks have the antennas but many trucks I see on the highways don't anymore where once almost every truck had dual whips. The days of 19 aren't like they used to be even 10 yrs ago at least for my area. Mostly Waze app has replaced the "smokey bear" reports and accidents and other apps with traffic conditions. I'm sure out in the middle of nowhere its still a decent tool. I miss the good old days where a bored trucker would paint the beautiful profane and very colorful picture of someone he was seeing

pmonk2112

Premium Subscriber
Driving over the GWB this afternoon and channel 19 was just guys screaming at each other.

MindenJoe

I drive down Interstate 5 in Northern California to the central coast several times a year. Sometimes to pass the time I will look at trucks to see how many have CB antennas. I would guess around 50 to 60%. Now how many have a CB radio hooked up to them would be anyone's guess.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
I live on a pretty busy N/S corridor and Ch 17 can be very hit and miss. I have more chances of hearing a Southern drawl from an amp 2K miles away than I do something locally...

Regards,

-Frank C.