• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do truckers still use CB Radios?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The only information I can get about that truck was it was Peterbilt.

slowmover

View attachment 112166

How would you identify this truck:D look at all that equipment on the roof, I would assume this truck has a CB radio?

Custom xtra/long wheelbase sleeper. Likely full bath & full kitchen. Husband & Wife. Getting paid to wait for a load has to then leave immediately (team drivers) running non-stop to the destination.

Room for a roof farm, but a composite body.

Whats up there L-R is a Qualcomm unit, RV air conditioner and satellite TV.

slowmover

Some trucking companies do not allow modifications of their trucks and CB radios are often considered modifications.

Pretty much every Class 5-8 truck has mount & power provisions built-in at the factory. Right down to a factory antenna. It’s E-Z enough to buy that package if it wasn’t ordered.

Not considered a modification to use such.

FWIW, I do a complete installation from scratch pretty much bypassing all the factory package (bundle it out of the way) in every truck the past ten years

That, despite so-called rules. I’d no more travel the road without my level of radio rig aboard and would turn in the truck keys if dinged on it.

(“Might” take me two hours to get six job offers. Plenty of guys like me, but we’re not the majority).

slowmover

not Neccesarily but way nice 110' sleeper, wonder if thats Bolt or ARI

here is mine

No mildew on that one. As it’s a Western Star with a swamp-donkey bumper and lots of graffito . . you got that whole Canuckistan thing down!

(Don’t listen to that other guy, it’s impressive!).

You runnin’ a Mr X custom?

125CFD7F-CC25-466D-A5CD-566262F21D28.jpeg

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Factory Antennas absolutely suck, High SWR, most of us install a new mount and a better antenna, it used to be an Antenna was a status symbol
like Chicken Lights, and a lot of people who are not in the trucking industry really don't understand but its almost a tradition, especially with the Billy Bigriggers, I've been driving 24 years on and off, full time since 2003, I really do miss some of the old traditions, and the old school truck stops like 76

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
No mildew on that one. As it’s a Western Star with a swamp-donkey bumper and lots of graffito . . you got that whole Canuckistan thing down!

(Don’t listen to that other guy, it’s impressive!).

You runnin’ a Mr X custom?

View attachment 112255
honestly i just have a 29, ive been investing in scanner equipment, I was just off the road since August due to another heart attack so i was medically disqualified till Nov 2 , im back at it but i got kinda tired of the whole CB thing, who knows i might pick it back up

we are going to Haul Wreaths Across America again this year too, yeah this Star Car has grown on Me, it has a custom interior with a sink, 6KW generator, and wood cabinets

slowmover

honestly i just have a 29, ive been investing in scanner equipment, I was just off the road since August due to another heart attack so i was medically disqualified till Nov 2 , im back at it but i got kinda tired of the whole CB thing, who knows i might pick it back up

we are going to Haul Wreaths Across America again this year too, yeah this Star Car has grown on Me, it has a custom interior with a sink, 6KW generator, and wood cabinets

Side Mic is King.

Just got an AM/SSB GALAXY DX-959b with an Astatic 636L going into a little RM Italy. Twin 7’ Skipshooters. Palomar Engineer filters at all three coax ends. West Mtn DSP Spkr.

IMO, won’t find but one or two other radios can come close (and they won’t without the other system enhancements).

64471358-2B98-4069-AF8F-33718BD08EF3.jpeg

You run a rig this good (not “quiet”, but dead quiet) and you’ll hear what you’ve never heard before. I don’t just mean you’ve got ears to hear what others can’t at distance (you’ll have best ears on the road) It’s that you’ll hear inside the RX details always missed before.

Big emphasis on how they said it. (The bullseye)

As you’ll be able to mirror that right back at them, the saloon doors swing wide and a whole crowd comes on in. Can get hard to get OFF the radio.

I’ve been more successful since August in recommending a tone/control change to others than ever before to clean up too much echo.

Means the clear quiet audio from mine isn’t booming or aggravating.

Am saying that in giving air checks (I always note road & mile marker and ask for their 10-20) that success with one kindly done has other guys join in. Lets start this round of drinks.

I started 27-years ago. Totally full time the past 12. Best Radio has done far more for my enjoying the job than any comparable amount spent.

Be sure to have Waja Bip. Only turn it on to silent key it. Try a few patterns. The other prisoners in the jail will tap the pipes at their end. (Never speak up; this ain’t for them others got radio monitored in background).

Drive on.

This’ll tickle that chunk of concrete in your chest. (And you’ll think of more that makes you and the other old hands silently smile).

Last edited:

slowmover

From what I've seen every time I've pulled into Love's Truck Stop for something, all the truckers are wearing Bluetooth or wired gaming headsets and talking to somebody non-stop on their phones, no matter where they are, including in the bathroom or ordering food. It really triggers one of my social behavior pet peeves.

Given the character not just the personality, think of it that you’ve dodged a bullet.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm just doing what my trainer told me to. This is so very very old... At one time it was Auto broadcasted. When you are away from your wife a long time and she whispered... look, no panties on, after hearing that for so long on the road, you ended up saying... Shut up stupid LOL. All kinds of follow-ups.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
wjm... interesting games going on. I just made that response and then and only then did your reply come up before mine. Interesting. You replied almost an hour ago and I never saw it. I noticed this is been happening on radio reference a lot. I know better than to question... I'm sure there's no coincidence. :rolleyes: notification system just has not been working so good for me, I miss so much.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh wait oh, my mistake, you are a newbie and your post had to be moderated before it was released. I understand now and it's cool that we had the same reply.