Do Whistler / GRE Scanners Properly Trunktrack LTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Do Whistler / GRE scanners do proper trunktracking of LTR talkgroups, or do they just conventionally scan the frequencies and search for talk groups?

911lighting

Premium Subscriber
Whistler tr1 does do trunk track right

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
GRE does and always has. I have no problem with my 600. They have auto LCN which makes life so much easier.

Its Uniden which doesn't have it, God only knows why though.

CanesFan95

But I thought Unidens do require programming LTR frequencies into the proper LCN and that Unidens do track properly.

Let's say you hold an an LTR talk group. What does the GRE / Whistler scanner do to track it? Conventionally scanning every frequency to check if the talk group is active somewhere? Or, monitor the home channel and knowing right away which LCN to jump to if the talk group you're holding on becomes active?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Uniden requires you to know or find out what the LCNs are and then program them in the proper order into the system for it to scan the system and pick up anything.

GRE/RS and I assume Whistler have Auto LCN which only requires you to put in all the system frequencies and the scanner automatically does the work. You don't need to know the LCN or have the freqs put in the proper order. It scans just fine as long as all freqs in a system are present in any order.

How it does it I don't know but auto LCN has been around for a long time in that line of scanners.

CanesFan95

If the scanner figures out the LCNs and truly uses them, then that suggests it might be trunktracking properly. But if it's just conventionally scanning in whatever order you program em in, then I wonder if it's not.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well it tracks properly but how it accomplishes that is something someone more technically minded would need to chime in on.

Again I can't speak for the Whistler line but GRE and RS have done it for a long time. I would assume Whistler didn't change that.

My 668 modified to 1080 just had a fire tac TG on an LTR system show up on a TC they are working. It seems to do the job and always has for me at least.

I have heard some things about the NXDN and DMR trunked systems on Whistler not actually trunking but scanning all freqs for traffic but you'd have to ask someone who has more knowledge about that.

CanesFan95

Exactly, that's what I'm wondering. If it tries to track LTR the same wrong way it does Capacity Plus.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well as I said LTR has always worked on them. Wrong or right way as long as it works then that's fine with me. I can't speak to DMR etc but LTR has worked for a very long time on their radios and it has worked correctly in tracking conversations whatever way they do it.

I haven't got any DMR systems that aren't conventional that I can ever pick up so I can't speak to issues there. Most say it works but you'll have to discover that yourself. I've heard different things on the new digital formats.

LTR is a different story and my GRE600 has worked on it since I bought it which I think was back in the early 2000s. Both my 668s worked on it as well before and after the firmware upgrade to Whistler 1088. Even my 652 which doesn't work very well IMO worked on LTR

J

jlmaddencc

As Hillary Clinton once said "What difference does it make," It will run circles around a Uniden that is trying in the mean time to Discover the correct LCN. Ghstwlf has said it works on at least 3 GRE based scanners from early 2000's on, I think that is a reputable member giving real world experience, unless you think he is just blowing smoke up your, you know what!

mikey60

Since LTR does not have a true control channel, the scanners do a little bit of both methods on LTR systems. Once the scanner detects a signal on one of the frequencies, it then will monitor the low speed data that's included in the transmission and will follow to other talkgroups if they are set to priority.

Now, the only way following those other talkgroups can happen is if the frequencies are in the correct LCN positions. Since the PSR-500, there's an option on LTR systems to have it automatically set the correct positions when they are detected. If the frequency isn't in the correct position, then it will be moved there the first time a signal is detected.

The answer to the OP's question then, is Yes, it properly trunktracks LTR systems, provided the frequencies are in the correct locations.

Mike

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Let's say you hold an an LTR talk group. What does the GRE / Whistler scanner do to track it? Conventionally scanning every frequency to check if the talk group is active somewhere? Or, monitor the home channel and knowing right away which LCN to jump to if the talk group you're holding on becomes active?

It's been a couple of years since I have messed with trying to monitor LTR systems, but I believe it checks all frequencies for activity and then checks the low speed data for the correct talkgroup. It also uses the same low speed data to figure out if the channel has the correct LCN as programmed.

As stated in the above response, LTR systems do not have a true control channel so it kind of has to check all the frequencies for activity.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
PSR 500

After reading and re-reading these posts, I did not see any mention of the "LTR Home Repeater AutoMove." Does Whistler still have this capability? I am curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.