Do you ever stop programming your scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8qln

Do you ever become happy with your programmed frequencies? Are you ever "done" programming?

Or do you constantly seek new ones in outer reaches of your antenna? Or search bands for an unknown frequency not published?

I have all my local favorites down, and some outer cities, but I have a 2 banks of "experimental" frequencies, where I see if I can hear anything on them before commiting them to a regular bank.

By the looks of people's shack's with multiple scanners, I wonder what others do.

Bill

Woodstock

I program all the usual stuff, police, fire, ham repeaters, etc. and then whenever I feel like it, I try to find something new. I think it's always fun to find a new frequency and then listen for a while to figure out what it is. I also have a bank or 2 of 'experimental' frequencies.

JnglMassiv

I haven't programmed new channels to my primary scanner in about a year. The most programming I've done is fiddling with search limits.

I'm in Chicago where the police and fire frequencies have been unchanged for a long time. I know what I like to listen to and don't really deviate much.

rpowley

I have a couple of scanners that are pretty well set. I do use another as a "signal stalker" and am always programming the V-Scanner files in my PRO-96 for traveling.

kd7rto

I hope I never get to the point where I stop adding new info.

As for as I'm concerned, listening to the "action" is only half of the fun. Discovering previously unknown trunked talkgroups and coventional frequencies is the other half.

BMT

NEVER!!!
Lastnight I deleted 500 and reprogrammed 497.

BMT

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I keep my regular local area set, but constantly tinker with some different PD/FD stuff more distant from me, especially since putting up a new antenna.

mciupa

Database Admin
kc8qln said:
Do you ever become happy with your programmed frequencies? Are you ever "done" programming ?
Bill

With the RadioReference Database and it's ever-evolving updates , it's impossible to be "done" programming ! :D :lol: :p

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I haven't stopped programming my PRO 96 since the first minute I had the thing powered-up..... let me see: I have ten V Folders to cover the eastern two-thirds of Kentucky, another V Folder for rescues in the National Forest Areas in the east.... another for ONLY dispatch freqs in the DMA.... another that covers all freqs in the Metro Lexington area.... I wish I had room for an additional 2500 freqs in the PRO 96, it would make life so much easier.... alas, Mr. Starr, your software is such a help! And my wife wonders why I sit at the computer some days for hours on end....

Last edited:

jmp883

I have 5 scanners in my listening post. 4 of them are identically programmed with public safety, aviation, and railroad frequencies along with state police trunking talk groups. They haven't been reprogrammed in years. The 5th scanner is my 'utility' scanner.

It took me some time to figure out how I best wanted the scanners programmed, but once I finally figured that out they haven't been reprogrammed in years. They have been updated since many of the towns in my area have been switching from VHF-Lo to UHF. As I get those new frequencies/PL tones I normally use my 'utility' scanner to monitor those new frequencies/PL tones to ensure they're accurate before entering them into the 4 other scanners.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I leave mine unless I know there is a new tg or freq.

My father on the other hand changes his daily, then has to call me if he finds something new or a harmonic and thinks its something new or a back channel the local LE is using to hide their commns.

He has not got the hang of the new dynamic memory and ended up giving me a bc246t after several days of attempting to program it without success.

The cool thing is he just bought a bcd996t.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I never stop programming. Close Call, Talkgroup ID Search, and frequency search features always bring something new to monitor. I'm sure glad Uniden came up with dynamic memory.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I can't just let four scanners sit there doing the same thing, everyday!!!

But honestly folks, there is so much stuff moving to TRS, or P25 or whatever, and ATC changes at times, that I am always programming!!!

Not to mention when I travel for business and like the previous poster take my scanner with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.