Do you have a portable with a sticky coating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you do, this posting from SWLing.com might interest you - the victim in this case is an Eton/Grundig E1XM which was infamous for this issue in its later runs...

Mike

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have a Grundig G5 that is afflicted and it was always stored in its case when not in use. I cannot bear to use it due to that sticky mess. I'll give it a go with some alcohol . . . and it cleaned up pretty good. I used 70% swabs.

That black mess was on there thick. Wear latex gloves. The hinges of the pop-out stand on the back did not survive. I'm not sure what they were made of, but that flap simply pulled off and was not previously cracked. No issues with the battery cover, so I'm good.

It will be nice to start using this again.

GB46

I used to have an LED flashlight with a stand and a rubberized handle to pick it up with. The handle wasn't sticky when we bought it. The flashlight stood on the counter of our bathroom in case of a power outage, as the bathroom has no windows to let in light. Well, you could not press the power button without grasping the handle, and imagine my surprise during a power failure when I fell into that messy trap, having not used the thing since it was new. It goes without saying that I had to be extra thorough in my hand washing before leaving the bathroom that day! The flashlight was obviously cheaply made, and eventually most of the LEDs stopped lighting up.

I'm glad nothing on my Sangean portable is rubberized. The buttons on my R75 are, but it's been 22 years and they haven't become sticky.

Jelico

I have a little, old Grundig Globe traveler that was sticky too. I was wondering why.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
If you do, this posting from SWLing.com might interest you - the victim in this case is an Eton/Grundig E1XM which was infamous for this issue in its later runs...

Mike

Thanks for sharing this! I tried isopropyl alcohol on my Grundig Buzz Aldrin & it didn't help much at all. Ended up ordering an Eaton Executive to use when I travel/camp. I love the form factor of the Buzz so I'm off to get some Purple Power today!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
NP. As noted in other entries in this thread, the E1 wasn't the only portatop / portable with that damnable sticky stuff all over it. Good to know that there's a reasonable fix for this mess...Mike

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I have a Logitech bluetooth mouse I recently started using again with sticky sides. I found using a palette knife to scrap down to the harder plastic worked. They come in a multitude of shapes and sizes. Mine tapers to a smaller rounded tip. Originally used to mix and apply epoxy and works well. It makes for a good flexible scarper that easily follows flat or curved surfaces. Its true use is a painter's tool. I followed up with isopropyl alcohol to finish off and smooth the surface. Sticky gone, surface is not pristine in appearance, but my fingers don't really care. :)

P_Knife.png

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Good to know, I have the same problem with my Grundig Buzz.
My Buzz G6 was so bad I stopped using it. Then I came across this post using Purple Power cleaning spray. Worked great! Now I use my Buzz often and it brought new life to a radio I was going to throw away! Below is the article I found a while back which enlightened me to this situation and resolution. Give it a try. Good luck! The radio is worth it.

ejy1

I have a little, old Grundig Globe traveler that was sticky too. I was wondering why.
I have one as well. Looked up the link to get the goo off and ordered the purple power cleaner that was recommended..needless to say the goo is gone!

ejy1

Quick question... how to tune in the aeronautical channels on the Grundig G3? I'm getting back into this again after many years.. any help would be most appreciated! Thank you.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please don't hijack a thread - it's frowned upon. Start a new thread with your question...Mike

PACNWDude

I have had a few Grundig/Eton radios and have gone through the process of removing the sticky goo. Goof Off has also worked for me, but not as well as other methods mentioned above. I bought several Grundig FR-200's because they did not have that type of plastic coating. Hopefully, mfr's take notice of these boards and change their products, although some already have.

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have a Grundig G6. The whole case is sticky. It gets really worse when I sit in the backyard listening
to the ballgame during the summer and the radio would be in the sun.
Thanks for the suggestions to clean the case.

Tim

ridgescan

I have a power strip, a hair dryer, a knock-off dremel gun and a cordless drill that all had that dreaded tacky-bleedout. 91% alcohol-soaked terri cloth with immediate buff after with dry terri towel got ALL that stuff off. Of course this was way before COVID when 91% was readily available. Now you're lucky to get 70% and I don't think 70% will do it. I don't know what their motive is with this goop thing as the finish underneath is fine and has been since I removed the goop!

air-scan

I don't understand why the rubber coating. Just like cassette players belts, cd and dvd player tray belts over time rubber becomes a gooey yuck.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Rubber and plastics formulation vary widely for the application. I believe this is a case of improving the feel and grip failed. Possible they have improved the formulation because for some devices it's still around.

Post-It-Note adhesive was originally a failed experiment in the lab. We can see how that turned out. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.