• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do You Have a UV-5R with N5R-20/BFB297 Firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for someone that has a working UV-5R (or variant) that has the following firmware version.

From the CHIRP Settings->Other Settings menu:
Firmware Message 1: N5R-20
Firmware Message 2: BFB297

If you have one of these radios or know of someone that has one, I need a CHIRP .img file from that radio emailed to me.

uv5r [at] kc9hi [dot] net

Thanks in advance.

Jim KC9HI

joeuser

The Wretched
I have that but, I dont follow you - chirp image? I have used chirp to program my radios but never heard of this. Quoting my reply will get my attention faster

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I have that but, I dont follow you - chirp image? I have used chirp to program my radios but never heard of this. Quoting my reply will get my attention faster

When you save the channels and settings to a file in the native CHIRP format, the extension is .img (short for image). That's what I want.

Thanks,
Jim KC9HI

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I am looking for someone that has a working UV-5R (or variant) that has the following firmware version.

You do realize you can download your own image file from the radio in CHIRP by using the "download from radio" menu (ALT-D)?

If you export channel settings from another radio to a CSV file, you can import that CSV into the newly-downloaded image, then upload the merged image back to the radio.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
You do realize you can download your own image file from the radio in CHIRP by using the "download from radio" menu (ALT-D)?

If you export channel settings from another radio to a CSV file, you can import that CSV into the newly-downloaded image, then upload the merged image back to the radio.

Sure, I know this. This request isn't for me. It is to help someone else. Although using a .CSV would have avoided the issue that we are trying to recover from, it's too late for it to help now.

So a CHIRP .img file from anyone with a "working" UV-5R (or any variant) with N5R-20/BFB297 firmware would be greatly appreciated.

Jim KC9HI

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Again, what you're asking for is pointless and unnecessary.

If you (or your friend or whoever) have the radio, you don't need to look elsewhere to get a CHIRP image file, you can get it straight from the radio whenever you want via the download function in CHIRP.

If the radio is too non-functional to download an image from, you're not going to be able to upload an image from another radio to it, regardless of firmware version. So having an image from another radio, regardless of firmware version, isn't going to be helpful.

If the problem cannot be resolved by downloading an image from the radio, than it cannot be resolved by an image from another radio.

ke5hyt

Premium Subscriber
Problem

"Again, what you're asking for is pointless and unnecessary." NOT TRUE
That statement is incorrect, You were responding to one of the programmers of
chirp software.
I have 15 radios. I uploaded an incorrect image to, and now they wont work.....
The reason is I didn't back up the original image and put in the incorrect image , so I need a radio with its original Image.
each image works with a particular firmware in the radio and this is an unusual firmware version
and so is the image so just downloading the radios image wont work and resetting it wont work
that was the first thing we tried we need this image if anyone has it.
From the CHIRP Settings->Other Settings menu:
Firmware Message 1: N5R-20
Firmware Message 2: BFB297

Thanks Bryan

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If resetting the radio with menu 40 doesn't fix it, I'm skeptical that uploading ANY image file to the radio will un-brick it.

obamacare

I have had the same exact problem with this same firmware.

I am sending the radio back and getting a new one.

If anybody has acquired the said image please post so I can try to fix the radio before sending it back.

When I get a new radio back, if it has this image I will get in contact and make sure he gets one.

My radio will only receive if I hold the monitor button down

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
No luck in getting an image yet?

Yes. When I got up this morning I had received the requested CHIRP image in my email. I forwarded it off to be tested before I left for work. I just got a report back that "it worked!!!!!!!".

There were 2 sections of memory that had changes that are usually the same between firmware versions. I am having some additional testing done to determine if just one area or both together contribute to this issue.

I'd still like to obtain a "factory" image from a radio with N5R-20 firmware. Anyone?

If you would like a copy of this working image, send me an email to: n5r20 [at] kc9hi [dot] net

Jim KC9HI

ke5hyt

Premium Subscriber
Jim Unroe "KC9HI" Fixed Radios N5R-20 BFB297 Image

I got mixed up on his user name user name for the fix so im reposting this corrected............
Thanks to Jim Unroe,15 volunteer fireman got new working radios. He has been very helpful with my uploading the incorrect image. Jim sent me original image and they are now working.
If you use chirp consider donating on there homepage you do it with paypal
Its the first time I have donated to a free non shareware program.
I got better support with it than many paid programs Ive used thanks again Jim Unroe !!
Also thanks Phil for supplying the image.

Status
Not open for further replies.