do you have to upgrade your new BCD396xt when you buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitblong

i just want to know if the scanner i buy the BCD396xt needs be updated before i use it/or this update is for later on if theres problems with it/ or this updates for new digital id and othere stiff/

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I believe the units out of the box would need an upgrade to be able to capture the radio ID/User ID stuff that folks are reporting and putting into the wiki. This procedure is documented on the Uniden TWiki site.

73 Mike

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
I bought a 396xt about a week ago and did have to upgrade it for the Unit ID feature. The version it came with was 1.07 and the upgrade was 1.08.

Frequency1

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased mine on 3/17/10. It came with the latest firmware version 1.08.14. No upgrade necessary.

kma371

QRT
don't have a 396xt, but I just purchased the 996xt that had latest firmware in it.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
May i ask "Frequency1" where did you purchase your 396XT that had the latest 1.8 firmware installed...Thank You

Tsch6373

How do I find out what firmware I have, just got mine from ScannerMaster last week. Happy with the radio but one of my regularly monitored agencies rebanded and they started up last Thursday morning.

LSEMT219

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Tsch6373 said:
How do I find out what firmware I have, just got mine from ScannerMaster last week. Happy with the radio but one of my regularly monitored agencies rebanded and they started up last Thursday morning.

Press menu and scroll with the knob to settings then see scanner info. What agency are you monitoring?

Tsch6373

Thanks LSEMT, I found it while changing the setting on the backlight which I do frequently. I listen to OldBridge, NJ. I learned here that they'd rebanded when I switched to their system as I entered OB and couldn't find the control channel. I have the latest firmware and entered the changed freqs. I knew that something happened since I could receive OB the night before with no problem. They change the control channel at midnight and it's just before midnight on the day of the rebanding that I lost the CC. If I'd only been ready . . .
Terri

zerofire

Firmware

Mine came with the newest firmware when I bought it but it came from another person so he might have done a upgrade to get the new features.

As for the rebanding, they are required to switch to a channel between 851 and 854 or 855. The control channel would change in that case. Be thankful that your unit, the BCD396XT, is ready for rebanding from the factory so you don't have to go through the hell of a firmware update just to get it to work. Also you just need to change the control channels to the new ones so it should not be a big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.