• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Do you have your ID?

Damn near every time I go to a store or convenience store, a moron asks me for ID when I buy smokes. And I'm quietly thinking while being pissed off having to fetch my ID out of my wallet that this person has zero common sense once so ever. I have brought the issue up a few times and they all state some BS that if you look under 18 (18!) that they have to check my ID. Now figure this one out. I'm 38, weigh 338 pounds, stand six feet tall, and have fur on my chiny chin chin. Now I still look like I'm under 18? Not even 18 at all, but under 18? UNDER 18?!

This crap has happened to my mom as well when she smoked. Yet my mom has gray in her hair. She always confronted the moron and if necessary had them get the manager.

I personally think, though not for certain, that if you work in a convenience store at the ripe old age of 40-50, you probably pretty much failed at life. Especially if you sport ink all over your body and have metal in your stupid ugly looking face.

I really should quit, but it's such a damn crutch. I'm on the computer doing something with my website or flying in my F-22 around the world in the Sim, or any other number of nerdy computer things and then an hour or two goes by and I'm like, "smoke break!" And to the patio in my chair I go. It doesn't matter if it's -6 either. I have my Winter boots, parka, gloves and Navy SEAL hat. Been there done that. In fact, yesterday we had a blizzard that went national in the news. Guess who was outside having a smoke? HAHAHAHA!!! And those stupid warnings? Keep raging that AD campaign war. It just makes me all the more defiant. Especially when no two F's are given about the state sanctioned pot crap. IMO you're better off smoking a Camel or a cigar than you are pot. And I've talked to at least five psychologists that all say pot is bad business and if you are prone to schizophrenia, then pot will help bring that fourth.

Now this is pretty much what I'm thinking when the jackwagon cards me. But in public I'm more reserved. and don't say anything. On the Internet I'm a lose cannon where I can say what I'm thinking. Then I can argue with stranger and nitpick over petty crap. It's great. LOL

sudo rant -off

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
Of course, one solution would be to stop smoking. ;)

This is probably the same line of thinking that forces retailers to card people buying alcoholic beverages. You can be 60 and look it, as I do, and still get carded at a liquor store in Indiana. I know why they do it, but it's still annoying. Heck, for all the store clerk knows, I could be an under-age informant sent into the store by the excise police in an attempt to nab the store for selling to minors.

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
Windshield washer fluid typically contains methanol or methyl alcohol aka wood alcohol. I don't think you'd want to drink it.

OTOH, the popular hand sanitizer (Purell, etc.) contain ethyl alcohol aka grain alcohol. It's a controlled substance in some jails and prisons because the "guests" do drink it.

Windshield washer fluid typically contains methanol or methyl alcohol aka wood alcohol. I don't think you'd want to drink it.

OTOH, the popular hand sanitizer (Purell, etc.) contain ethyl alcohol aka grain alcohol. It's a controlled substance in some jails and prisons because the "guests" do drink it.
I've seen the hand sanitizer junkies in action. Several years ago I needed to take my mother to the ER. While I was in the waiting room, there was a (presumably) homeless guy who was "jones'n" pretty bad. He kept pumping handfuls of sanitizer and disappearing into the bathroom. After about half a dozen trips, he had calmed down. Pretty sad to see.

With regard to the I.D. thing, there's a local brewery that has something akin to an outdoor night once a month. I often meet a few friends there after work (sometimes a son or two of mine will show up) for a pint. They card everyone at the gate. I haven't looked 21 in decades (a couple more than Poltergeisty) but it was their policy to card everyone. I took this as a challenge. I'd substitute a faked note from my mom, my AARP card and whatever else I could thing of to twist some tails. I don't have the problem any more. Heck, it'd be great if I looked anywhere close to 21 !

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
If I produce a valid ID that shows I'm underage, in spite of my over-60 appearance, then it would be up to the clerk to believe the ID rather than my ugly mug.

BTW, while I will admit to purchasing alcoholic beverages when I was underage (the statute of limitations surely has run out by now), I never used a fake ID.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Many, many years ago, I tried to buy beer (I was 21 at the time) at a gas station using my military ID and the clerk took my ID and would not give it back as he thought I had a fake ID and that I was under age. I had to call the sheriff to force the clerk to give me back the ID. Had a clerk in NC refuse to sell me cigarettes because she thought my ID was fake. I was around 25 at the time. I always looked younger than I was, so it was pretty frustrating, even with a legit ID. Glad I quit smoking and I don't drink anymore, but I'd welcome an ID check now as I don't look young anymore...