Do you install these on your antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a couple of antennas to put on my tower. They were different brands (Comet and Cushcraft) but both included the same warning sticker. (I suppose they include these for legal reasons).

I used to faithfully stick these on to my antennas, masts. etc. in the past, but no longer do. What do you do with these stickers?

Attachments

• IMG_2257.jpeg
    IMG_2257.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 104

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
We have become such a litigious society that that is a pretty good reason. It's cheaper than losing a lawsuit.

Regardless of the "intended use" of those stickers, Personally I don't see a need for them because if I find someone ignorant enough to be on my roof or my towers, who could be close enough to read them, will become immediate targets for practice without question (or lawyers) just to see how many times I can plug them before they hit the ground... So to answer your question: "Watch For Wires" is the least thing to be concerned about around here so I toss them in the trash...

prcguy

I don't bother with signs that try and explain the obvious like if you climb my tower you might fall, or if the antenna touches high power lines you might be electrocuted. If your too stupid to understand simple things then a sign probably wont help you. I do put these signs around some of my antennas as a courtesy for the uninformed public.

1625585790097.png

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Regardless of the "intended use" of those stickers, Personally I don't see a need for them because if I find someone ignorant enough to be on my roof or my towers, who could be close enough to read them, will become immediate targets for practice without question (or lawyers) just to see how many times I can plug them before they hit the ground... So to answer your question: "Watch For Wires" is the least thing to be concerned about around here so I toss them in the trash...
I see your point. I do understand that it's a long and difficult process to put them on.......or not.

I see your point. I do understand that it's a long and difficult process to put them on.......or not.

The way you wrote that makes me believe that it does not appear that you actually do... You see, it is much more fun and gratifying to remove idiocy from the face of the planet the way I choose to since they would have chosen to climb onto my roof or tower in the first place (which makes me better at aiming at the target and put a BIG smile on my face when I hear that thud of them hitting the ground) than to not and simply let it become a bigger problem as it already is... and to prove that point just take a really good look around you, idiocy is virtually everywhere you turn, which is sad but oh so very true... Or it may be even easier to see by simply looking into a mirror but I don't know you so I cannot really say for sure but you do a very good job of removing that doubt all on your own...
It is not my fault in any way shape or form that whomever didn't pay enough attention in school AND to those things that are around them on a daily basis AND it is not my responsibility to teach them as it is NOT their responsibility to teach me... Not to say that if they were to ask I wouldn't help because in all likelihood I would help them to the best of my ability...
So please do me a big favor, would you? If you are... Quit trying so hard to make your problems mine!!!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
So please do me a big favor, would you? If you are... Quit trying so hard to make your problems mine!!!
Problems? I don't have any problems to give you. I'm 77. My health is good, I don't owe anyone any money and play mandolin in a little country band. The biggest problem I have is that my age, it's getting tougher to be a chick magnet. I'm certainly not trying to get in the way of your one-man quest to eliminate stupidity. I know what your concerns are and I, too, have wondered why milk containers have allergen information that say, "Contains Milk." Or why butane lighters used to say, "Do Not Use Near Fire Or Flame." Or why pecan pies (that a Southern thing) say, "Contains Nuts." Or...well, you understand. I laugh at those things now and I don't worry about it.

To be perfectly candid, I was making fun and just being a little sarcastic.

(On a side note, I'm going to Bay City, MI, in a couple of weeks to visit the grandkids. If the adults are there, that's okay, too. The Covid thing has limited my travels and I'm trying to catch up.)

Problems? I don't have any problems to give you.

I am 54 and I carry a disease that cannot be touched by modern medicine (please don't feel anything for me, I don't! It is just life moving on!!!) Not only do I not owe anybody anything, I still, after all these years carry a N/A (Not Applicable) on my credit score! Patting myself on the back for that one I sure am!!! I proved to be a hard worker and I am not perfect and will never claim to be and knowing that I still strive to better myself. It is just the words I read that make me assume (which in itself is not so good sometimes), but hey, if they are said then what else do you have to go on?

Anyway I am not on a "one-man" quest, it is just so aggravating to know that some people don't care if it is their property or not, so therefore it goes to say that if you put yourself in that position, you yourself must realize that I don't care about you either. Simple really but most just cannot see that logic... I'd much rather be that nice guy you can come to anytime knowing I'll be there for you and help protect if need be. But more often than not these days I find that is not a good thing to do anymore as most will end up trying to take full advantage of you and your "perceived" kindness. So am I "hardened"? Yes, yes I am to be quite honest and quite frankly it makes me sick!
Along with that and the way the gov. does things, it ends up being a bottom line thing with encryption to go with it which makes it very, very hard to trust them to do what they should ought to be doing... So sometimes you simply have to do what you have to do... Like dig deep holes out in the back 40 after you hear that gratifying thud... Problem I have with that right now is... My plate compactor needs a new carburetor...

As far as that "sticker"... Ha! If you were anything like me, that young "stupid" kid, that just had to stick a key into one side of the outlet while probing the other one with a pocket knife... You just learned all you ever need to know about electricity in less time than it takes for a heart to beat once!!! Ya gotta live to learn or die trying!! Or like the "older" kid on a Harley is now, Ya gotta ride'r hard and put'r away wet!!! Yeah baby!!!! Because life ain't worth livin unless you live life!!! And that doesn't require you to have to wear orange or carry a boefango wiz bang thing a ma do!!!

With that being said, I truly hope you are safe in your travels and find your family safe and well off as well!!!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
prcguy, I s'pose you're right but did you read the part about being 77?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
What to do with those antenna warning stickers? You could put them just under external AM/FM antennas on new cars at a dealership that's screwed you over, you could put them on cars that park too close to you, or on the random police car... Then, there is always Field Day.

:p

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Learn fast.
....and hire someone to carry the drums. (We're our own roadies. The youngest member of the band is 54. We started the band with just three and we called ourselves "Three Old Men Desperately Seeking Attention." That was 10 years ago. We have 6 now.)

paulears

If only you would be involved with a system next to a power line then what is the point of you sticking them on, to warn yourself? If it's a radio club, then sticking them on would be sensible. Again, if you have no power cables the warnings are pointless - BUT - what harm do they do? We all do stupid things and maybe this would just jog your own memory and save you hurting yourself. You do a risk assessment on your system. You record and minimise the risk. Would this sticker lower the risk? Often with safety, there is no reason NOT to state the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.