• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do you know what it costs? Guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Guess what the LIST price is, in the current M/A-Com catalog, for this radio configured as follows:

M/A-Com P7100IP System model, 800 MHz, direct FM, intrinsically safe, with AES encryption and these options:

P25 trunking, provoice, edacs trunking, P25 CAI, and conventional operation

Aegis and 64-bit DVE encryption

direct frequency entry
800 systems/groups
proscan
priority system scan
status/message
radio textlink
edacs data
edacs security key (ESK)
P25 OTAR
P25 data

This would be pretty close to the all-singing, all-dancing wonder-radio of the M/A-Com world,
short of OpenSky which apparently doesn't work worth a damn anyway. :/

Guess the LIST price for this radio! Just the radio as configured, no battery, no antenna, no belt clip,
nothing else.

The answer may shock you.

Elroy

rmiles

Guess what the LIST price is, in the current M/A-Com catalog, for this radio configured as follows:

M/A-Com P7100IP System model, 800 MHz, direct FM, intrinsically safe, with AES encryption and these options:
HT7170T81A-IS2: $3055.00

P25 trunking, provoice, edacs trunking, P25 CAI, and conventional operation
MAHT-PKGPP: $2395.00

Aegis and 64-bit DVE encryption
HTVE: $800.00 (it's VGE encryption)

direct frequency entry
HTPL7K: $105.00
800 systems/groups
HTPL3R: $205.00
HTPL1X: $305.00
HTPL5K: $305.00
Or you could order HTEN Extended Network Package which includes Max sys/grps, ProScan and ProFile: $550.00
priority system scan
HTPL1Y: $105.00
status/message
HTTS: $105.00
radio textlink
Included with above HTTS:
edacs data
HTPL3X: $205.00
edacs security key (ESK)
HTPL7G:$105.00 (Also gives you P25 Personality Lock)
HTPL5L: $650.00
HTPL7P: $205.00

This would be pretty close to the all-singing, all-dancing wonder-radio of the M/A-Com world,
short of OpenSky which apparently doesn't work worth a damn anyway. :/
Which the P7100 won't do anyway:)

You forgot to add;
FIPS 140-2 Operation for AES, HTFP:$ 305.00
Immersible Radio Operation, HTMR: $230.00
Industry Canada Certification, HTEC1A: $5.00

Guess the LIST price for this radio! Just the radio as configured, no battery, no antenna, no belt clip,
nothing else.

The answer may shock you.
$8715.00 (but I cheated):D

What do I win??

Last edited:

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Hehe, I remember when building an Ericsson super-node AXE, we got quite excited browsing the catalogue to find an item LESS than $100... it was a plastic lever from a cabinet door latch...!
Though Nokia are no better... $2000 for one stick of "special" Nokia RAM, 128Mb back in late 2005... the entire installations warranty & support would have been invalidated if we didn't use genuine Nokia bits... and we peeled off the sticker of one and saw a Samsung OEM sticker underneath.

My guess would have been in the vicinity of $5k-$6k... oh well.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I knew you had that data. I sort of expected you not to answer.

I had to refigure. I had duped the 800 sys/group option, and ended up with 9385. Take off 800 bucks or so.

Hey, figure this one out: What's a "40 option" radio worth "by the book"? Just ignore the options that aren't listed for 7100s.

And here are two "real world" radios, which I have in my possession right now.

Radio #1: UHF low split (380-430) 7150 scan model, with the following:

128 sys/group, 255 trunked systems, 65535 conventional channels, intrinsically safe and immersible.
Options
1 -Conventional Priority Scan
4 -Group scan
7 -Dynamic regroup (Edacs)
8 -Emergency operation (Edacs)
9 -T99 Encode (Two-tone paging encode)
10 -Conventional emergency operation
12 -AEGIS Digital Voice
14 -DES encrypted calls
23 -Narrow Band Operation
29 -IMBE vocoder operation (ProVoice)
33 -P-25 digital voice operation
37 -AES Encryption (P-25 only)
39 -P25 Trunking

List price: $5280

Second radio:

800 MHz 7170 system model, intrinsically safe

65535 sys/group
255 trunked systems
65535 conventional channels

Options
1 -Conventional Priority Scan
4 -Group scan
5 -Priority system scan
6 -Wide area system scan & ProScan (Edacs)
7 -Dynamic regroup (Edacs)
8 -Emergency operation (Edacs)
9 -T99 Encode (Two-tone paging encode)
10 -Conventional emergency operation
12 -AEGIS Digital Voice
14 -DES encrypted calls
17 -Status/Message operation (Edacs)
21 -ESK (Edacs Security Key)
22 -Profile Operation (Edacs)
23 -Narrow Band Operation
29 -IMBE vocoder operation (ProVoice)
38 -TextLink (Edacs only)

List price :$5755 and possibly more, as that number of systems/groups is greater than the typical "max" sys/groups package.

Neither of these radios is an engineer's toy. They were actually ordered for specific customers.

The first radio is (apparently) an EDACS HYDRA radio, as used on HYDRA systems installed on
US aircraft carriers and a number of other Naval vessels.

The second radio has the same feature set as one version of Florida SLERS statewide radio.

Elroy

Last edited:

rmiles

I knew you had that data. I sort of expected you not to answer.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! It's just too ridiculous to fathom, how anyone can say M/A-Com has such a cost saving advantage over Motorola. Not when you start adding up the features! Yes, Motorola is expensive, but so is M/A-Com! At least Motorola can build a real solid radio. The M/A-Com radios have such a cheesy feel to them. I have yet to find an Ericsson/GE, M/A-Com radio that comes close to being as rugged or well build as any of the professional grade Motorola's. The only one that comes close is the M-PD, IMHO.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I completely agree. I've had my fingers in enough of both models to know this all too well.

M/A-Com has Kyocera and JRC build radios for them. But they're only built.

Motorola's radios are ENGINEERED.

Look inside both and you see two very different schools of thought. The Motorola approach is more
expensive in terms of manufacturing and more rugged and reliable as well.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.