do you need a license to put scanner live online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyjess

Is it legal in canada to put police live online with a scanner for everyone to listen to?

JPM-ARG

I'm pretty sure it's not legal, either, but in the last thread on this subject where I quoted the relevant section of the relevant law, one guy just repeatedly mouthed off that I was wrong until another finally came up with some actual case law.

It appears to be an offense on paper that doesn't get successfully prosecuted.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Legal? depends who you ask,....

you could use a program like teamspeak 3 (TeamSpeak - TeamSpeak 3) as well with a free server such as Free TeamSpeak 3 Servers - Public TeamSpeak Servers, if for somereason the RR software doesnt work for you or if its only temporary/intermittent...

but then you would have to find an agency to monitor that wont be going encrypted in the next 5 minutes,.......

jackj

To add to what webstar22 posted. Unless the FCC has changed its rules and regulations, it IS illegal to profit from monitoring radio communications unless you have the permission of the license holder. The fine is rather stiff but the rule isn't enforced much. It pretty much takes a complaint from the license holder before the FCC will do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.