Do you need the special connector for RG8X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis_C

Hello, I have a Belden 9258 coax, with a N-Male connector, and at the other side it had a connector that is similar to the F one, I'm not sure what it was, thing is I removed it, (Got this thing for free) and tried to add a BNC Solderless connector from Radio Shack, and I tried to listen the Police at VHF High, the antenna that I have is for UHF, but I was waiting that it would sound like the rubber dock, but it didn't, there's a noticiable signal loss. This is wrong right? So well, I'm not sure if the N-male connector is for RG8X.... Wait, no problems, it is, got it off, yes it is a RG8X N-male connector, crimp one, I believe, so well, I can't use a BNC connector designed for RG58? I need to get a RG8X one? I heard the copper shield needs to be soldered to the connector? Is this right? I'm confused.

I'm going to use this coax for my airband ground plane, that I'm going to build hopefully this week, oh and is there an easy way to test the cables?

Thanks.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Luis_C said:
Larger? In diameter or length?

Is it important to have the right connector, in this case?

Yes. If I understand your post correctly, you have RG-8X coax. A connector designed for RG-58 coax will not fit RG-8X cable. You can get BNC connectors (or any other connector) that will fit RG-8X cable.

Luis_C

W4KRR said:
Yes. If I understand your post correctly, you have RG-8X coax. A connector designed for RG-58 coax will not fit RG-8X cable. You can get BNC connectors (or any other connector) that will fit RG-8X cable.

Understood, thank you. :)

gcgrotz

LarrySC said:
There are two adp's. One for RG-8X and RG-58. The 8x is larger.

The RG8x adapter is the same as the one for RG59. Most RS stores have them. I just put one on last weekend. Yes, they need soldering but some people put the braid up on the threads and screw it down. I don't recommend it however, and you still have to solder the center. You need a gun for the braid, lots of heat for a short time does the trick.

Luis_C

gcgrotz said:
The RG8x adapter is the same as the one for RG59. Most RS stores have them. I just put one on last weekend. Yes, they need soldering but some people put the braid up on the threads and screw it down. I don't recommend it however, and you still have to solder the center. You need a gun for the braid, lots of heat for a short time does the trick.

Hey, that's really helpful. Thank you, there's not much problem about soldering, I can, and I have a friend who could do it for me, too, and if he doesn't can, there's his dad who is an expert in this things, he repairs things for a living. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.