• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
A fun poll for the day... helps me prioritize development effort for the mobile environment.

An iPhone-friendly version of RR.com would be very nice!!!

Jay2052

The iphone has too many features for me. I'd waste all my time playing with it. I'm pretty happy with my Razr for now.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Couldn't live without mine... Would love to upgrade to the new one, but don't think it'll happen yet...

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Not interested in the new pricing "scheme". They may have lost me as a potential buyer.

Still using my BBerry just fine.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I intend to go with the Blackberry Bold when it becomes available in my area/telco.

The fact that my agency's CAD provider is coming out with their MDT software for BB/PDAs may have something to do with that. ;)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I downloaded the new 2.0 firmware today and manually installed it - awesome, really awesome. The MS Exchange push integration works flawlessly, and all the new apps on the iTunes store is fantastic.

I'll sooner or later get one of the 3G versions - but I'm pretty content with my current iPhone.

I'm probably going to in the 4Q write a mobile version of the site for Blackberry and iPhone users.

dtscho

Database Admin
Yes, I own one and use it often on "scanning trips" for looking up info. It's extremely useful to be able to look up a frequency or a talkgroup quickly without having to find a computer.

A version of RR for the iPhone would be awesome!

Dave

w8hey

ModMyiFone.com just rolled out a new iPhone friendly theme for vBulletin -- it needs some tweaks, but I bet it wouldn't be hard to port over for RR.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I downloaded the new 2.0 firmware today

Er, where????

The MS Exchange push integration works flawlessly

I'm looking forward to this; tired of having to enter stuff on my (Outlook) calendar at work and then turn around to manually enter the same thing on my Macbook so I can get it onto the iPhone. All I want is Calendar integration. That's all.

I am looking very, very seriously at MobileMe. For $99/year I get storage space, calendar and email push and so on; update the iPhone at work, and the calendar gets pushed up to the MobileMe "cloud" and then down to my Macbook, and the G4 desktop at home.

Puts a serious question mark after my need to run Leopard Server on the Mac Mini server at home to accomplish the calendar push...

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
See this link on how to download the new 2.0 firmware. It will be available on auto-install tomorrow.. but for now you have to manually install it (it's easy)

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/10/iphone-2-0-firmware-5a347-available-early/

Keep in mind that Exchange push integration is not the same as outlook integration. You need to have a backend MS Exchange infrastructure in place to support this feature. There aren't any special servers or plugins required, but you do need an exchange server.

If you don't have an exchange server - MobileME looks fantastic and very nice.

I pay good money for an outsourced MS Exchange hosted server with Intermedia to host the entire lcblanton.com email domain (family etc). It worked out of the box perfectly the first time and now I get pushed emails to the iPhone within about 3 seconds. Just like my old blackberry.

jon_k

A fun poll for the day... helps me prioritize development effort for the mobile environment.

No. I use Windows Mobile 6.1

However, I voted yes in the poll. Simply because anything web-devel related for iPhone should work in Windows Mobile. I suggest you aim for supporting both platforms. Hopefully you weren't hinting to catering to one device with proprietary features!

I'm probably going to in the 4Q write a mobile version of the site for Blackberry and iPhone users.

Remember Windows Mobile!

I'm a devout Linux user, but I do enjoy this platform better than the other 2.

Last edited:

bear105

I encourage the Mobile application development but the iPhone and (more specifically) AT&T Wireless is just too expensive. Would be nice to see some focus on the Windows Mobile platform. My next upgrade is probably the Sony Ericsson X1, which is using Windows.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
See this link on how to download the new 2.0 firmware. It will be available on auto-install tomorrow.. but for now you have to manually install it (it's easy)

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/10/iphone-2-0-firmware-5a347-available-early/

Keep in mind that Exchange push integration is not the same as outlook integration. You need to have a backend MS Exchange infrastructure in place to support this feature. There aren't any special servers or plugins required, but you do need an exchange server.

I know; it's there at work and if it will work may be just fine. However... (see below)

If you don't have an exchange server - MobileME looks fantastic and very nice.

I just set up a MobileMe account, and the push works great. I'll try setting up the push on the computer in the office on Monday morning so I can sync all my calendars (don't need work contacts or email on the iPhone or home computers, just need the calendars to sync).

It's very likely that my web page will also end up on MobileMe with my domain name pointed to it; why spend an additional $100/year for web space when it's included as part of my MobileMe subscription?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.