Do You Think The PA STARNET Drama Will Ever End...?

What Do You See for the Future of PA-STARNET?

• I think STARNET works fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PA will continue spending money to get the system to work 100%.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • PA will ditch STARNET, and move on to a new system.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • PA will continue spending money on STARNET until we go bankrupt.

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

Ok, so it only takes one look at Google to find out just how crummy the Opensky platform can be, and just how many problems it has caused agencies.

Here in PA we have been unfortunate enough to gain a statewide (...in theory) Opensky system.
If you look at the sticky in the PA forum you can read page after page concerning the problems the system has in our state and all the money being dumped into it.

So I ask this. Does the Radio Reference comunity think the trouble will ever end? Will we ever have a fully functional statewide system that other states are blessed with? Will we keep dumping money into the system, or will we ditch it? Will our extra money spent give us the outcome of full coverage and less flaws, or will it bankrupt our state's IT department?

Vote Now!

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

Uncle Corbett would rather throw good money after bad while refusing to allocate funds for cities mass transit woes and ignoring the Commonwealth's crumbling infrastructure. Yep, he's a one termer.

vinzep491

I think part of the issue stems from the fact that most of the decision makers have no real concept of how the technology works, or rather, is suppost to work.

Sure, they have technical advisors and "geeks" on their team to inform them, but how much do these people making the calls really know about OPENSKY.

We read in other PA threads of the occasional whistle blowers. Most of it is simply a congressman calling for more functionality. Or we heard LEO's stating they are having issues (One thing comes to mind when the AG's Drug Task Force had to halt operations on an active op due to radio issues). But the fact is, no one really knows what the heII is going on, and how bad and large the OPENSCAM really is.

I wish the state would put together a public meeting where we, the "educated nerds", could go and simply explain the concept of the Opensky platform and compare it to the other system types.

Personally, I spend alot fo time at my other house in Sotuh Carolina. This is one of the lucky states that has the definition of a 100% functioning, interoperable statewide system. (Granted, it is owned by Moto, and is funded by user fees, but it still serves it purpose). Look at other states that do in fact own their own infrastructure and have it working perfectly. I'm not saying it has to be Motorola... heII, at this point anything is better than what we have now.

What it boils down to is this : PA got sold into the Opensky scam before anyone knew exactly how crummy it is. The question now is who has enough guts and incentive to take the initiative and admit failure... then either fix the problem or start from scratch. PA has enough budget issues without loosing another 300million to a lost cause.

Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.