Do you think the scanning hobby will die out (for most people) by the next decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

Not necessarily. CHP seems to stream theirs in real time (or darn close to it)
Inappropriate CAD entires are not shared with the public, however. If you read the CHP CAD page, you'll see that they don't share all the info on the page.
Yes, I also meant to say "sanitized information".

Dawn_Adams

Premium Subscriber
No, I don’t think the scanning hobby will die out. As several have said on this thread, it will adapt to changes. It has been for years. Fortunately in my local area, there isn’t anything encrypted yet. I like to listen to a wide variety of things, not just public service. There is air, marine, railroads, lots of stuff. I listen to all of it. So if and when the public service agencies in my become encrypted, I will simply listen to those other things that aren’t encrypted. And I know some on here won’t like me saying that apps like Broadcastify or LiveATC.net are wonderful tools to listen to many frequencies, but there it is. I no longer own a scanner, but have an Ipad on which I have Broadcastify and LiveATC.net. So I can listen to all kinds of stuff and not spend a fortune on a scanner. When I travel, I take my Ipad with me so I can listen to the local stuff in the area I travel to.

This technology that some detest is actually opening up a whole new way to enjoy the hobby. I find it ironic that some just don’t see that.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I too use Scanner Radio Pro from time to time, but it does not give one the flexibility of a real scanner because there is not always a feed for a given area of what you may want to listen to. I generally use it for out of area suff during emergencies, disasters or a crisis. The notification on the phone is also very useful.

scannersnstuff

No, I don’t think the scanning hobby will die out. As several have said on this thread, it will adapt to changes. It has been for years. Fortunately in my local area, there isn’t anything encrypted yet. I like to listen to a wide variety of things, not just public service. There is air, marine, railroads, lots of stuff. I listen to all of it. So if and when the public service agencies in my become encrypted, I will simply listen to those other things that aren’t encrypted. And I know some on here won’t like me saying that apps like Broadcastify or LiveATC.net are wonderful tools to listen to many frequencies, but there it is. I no longer own a scanner, but have an Ipad on which I have Broadcastify and LiveATC.net. So I can listen to all kinds of stuff and not spend a fortune on a scanner. When I travel, I take my Ipad with me so I can listen to the local stuff in the area I travel to.

This technology that some detest is actually opening up a whole new way to enjoy the hobby. I find it ironic that some just don’t see that.
Adapting to change is vital,and a great thing. But the way I see it is the end of the road for public safety monitoring. This is where my primary scanning interest has always been. As Trentbob say's "there goes your situational awareness".

JustLou

$500-$700 for a scanner is no more expensive than scanners were 30 years ago when agencies started going to 800mhz analog trunking systems. I bought a Bearcat 800XLT in the late 1980's when my locals went to 800mhz. My memory may not be great but I think the 800XLT was around $300 then. Today's high end Uniden and Whistler scanners have way more features. With that said, yes I know $700 is a lot of money for many folks.

I remember pre-ordering the Pro-2004 in the late 80's for $400. That's over $900 in today's money.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Will it die? No. Is it evolving? Yes. Will many be secured? Some. Will all? No. Ymmv. Some Will have mains open with options to switch a main secondary that secured when need be or user switched on main. I don't see everyone moving just to listen to a radio if their local entities do secure. Then again the same who vote certain people in are ones biting their own foot in my opinion as much as we hate it politics do play role in the communications industry as it is a huge $$$.

scannersnstuff

Will it die? No. Is it evolving? Yes. Will many be secured? Some. Will all? No. Ymmv. Some Will have mains open with options to switch a main secondary that secured when need be or user switched on main. I don't see everyone moving just to listen to a radio if their local entities do secure. Then again the same who vote certain people in are ones biting their own foot in my opinion as much as we hate it politics do play role in the communications industry as it is a huge $$$.
How is it evolving ? . If anything, I think it's devolving. How much more can be done ?. Sorry if I sound jaded, but I don't see good thing's with the dreaded "E" and what appears to be no new talent in scanner development.

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Adapting to change is vital,and a great thing. But the way I see it is the end of the road for public safety monitoring. This is where my primary scanning interest has always been. As Trentbob say's "there goes your situational awareness".

Definitely agree with your statement, there will always be other things to tune into too (planes, trains, business etc.) but public safety listening was the main "bread & butter" of the whole scanner hobby from the begining of the first crystal scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.