Do you "travel" with your scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpnstubing

I've had my scanner for a few years and it has occupied a spot on my kitchen counter faithfully. This year, I thought it might be nice to take it on our summer adventure into The western provinces and listen to some of the 'action' along the way.

My question is: do those of you that already do this pre-program systems in yours and switch systems as you go or do you download and program whenever you get to a place you'd like to scan.

I run a BCD996T and have a GPS but have never needed to try to connect it.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the frequencies of the areas that I travel to most already programmed into the scanner so that I just have to change scan lists. If I go to a new area, I will program the scanner before I leave or program the scanner enroute if I'm not driving.

SCPD

QRT
I use V-Scanner on my GRE PSR500 scanner .. and I see that you have a Uniden so that option is not available. But you can use GPS scanning on that model I believe.

mohjo

I love the V-Scanner option. I've got the ppstn in one file for the whole province and then each city with a separate system in another file. I could go on & on but I don't need to bore anyone. ;)

mciupa

Database Admin
My question is: do those of you that already do this pre-program systems in yours and switch systems as you go or do you download and program whenever you get to a place you'd like to scan.

Nowadays, I take my HomePatrol with me and just punch in the postal code (or zip code if I cross the border). With both Canadian and American database loaded in it, I'm prepared for anywhere.

omrail

In my old car I had a bct15 in it along with gps and had most of Alberta programed along with the gps info. I have a system that has all the A, B & C for the RCMP if I was in an area without known RCMP repeaters. I driving to the lower mainland every year and had it also. All RCMP & Highways for BC, Coquihalla highway info (rcmp, fire, bcas) and the Fraser valley in a system. My bcd 396 has all the same as the 15 and this year I had it with me I also added all of BCAS.

I have had my 396 when I was in DC and Boston and both scanners for Washington State. If I go I have a scanner.

MrVelvet

I use V-Scanner on my GRE PSR500 scanner .. and I see that you have a Uniden so that option is not available. But you can use GPS scanning on that model I believe.
Would love more info on the V-Scanner feature - is this something I can use with Win500?

I always bring my scanner with me when we travel and it would be nice to not have to redo my programming if possible.

SCPD

QRT
V-Scanner is a feature of the PSR scanners .. and not something in the software specifically. I would think that your Win500 software has the ability to do V-Scanner programming, but I am not sure. I use PSREdit .. and it works for me, in fact I really love it.

K6ARL

Just be sure you have authorization to have a scanner in the vehicle. Some states, such as Minnesota, have laws that restrict the radios that can be in a vehicle, whether they are on or off. The radios included are those capable of listening in on emergency radio systems. The reasons behind these laws are that a person could potentially be using the radio to listen to, and evade law enforcement. An operating license, such as a Ham Radio license or police ID, is required for the radio to be in the vehicle, whether being operated or not.
73s
K6ARL

scannerboy01

Just be sure you have authorization to have a scanner in the vehicle. Some states, such as Minnesota, have laws that restrict the radios that can be in a vehicle, whether they are on or off. The radios included are those capable of listening in on emergency radio systems. The reasons behind these laws are that a person could potentially be using the radio to listen to, and evade law enforcement. An operating license, such as a Ham Radio license or police ID, is required for the radio to be in the vehicle, whether being operated or not.
73s
K6ARL
Question: What happens if a person buys a scanner from a store in Minnesota and transports it in the vehicle while taking it to their home in a motor vehicle?

K6ARL

Excellent Question. The radio has to be transported without being accessible to the driver--i.e, in the trunk.
73s
K6ARL

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All you need is a copy of your ham ticket. You cannot be stopped from using your federal privileges. You can carry your radio with you anywhere. I've never been questioned in over 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
All you need is a copy of your ham ticket. You cannot be stopped from using your federal privileges. You can carry your radio with you anywhere. I've never been questioned in over 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing you should be aware of .. is that the thread originator is from Canada and we do not have any restrictions on having a scanner in our vehicles.

Now .. back to original programming I hope.

Last edited:

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Although not legally required, it isn't a bad idea to carry your ham license with you even if you live in Canada.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.